C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Auto trans fluid change

Thinking about changing my 02 Conv Vette's auto trans fluid and filter. It's got 85k miles so I figure it's due for a change. By change I mean whatever falls out of the pan.

I don't see any guides explaining how to do it on a auto, so I figure I'll try asking here first. Is it as simple as drain, replace, refill? What filter and fluid would you recommend? I was thinking of getting a ACDELCO 24208574 filter with Red Line D4 ATF. About that refilling, is it pour as much as you can until it pours out of the plug?

Last edited by Dukenukemx; 08-18-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

do a search, i did my trans last year, you wil need a fluid pump they sell them at harbor freight. you check the level with engine running be sure the car is warmed up. add fluid till it just trickles out the fill plug.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I did when I bought my 99 was take it in for a Trans/diff fluid change. Definitely a smart thing to do. Might want to do the diff while you're at it. Fluids are getting old on these cars. Change the transmission filter too.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car must be level while filling.
1. With car off, remove drain/fill plug.
2. Take shower in trans fluid.
3. Remove trans oil pan. Remove filter and filter seal.
4. Install new filter seal and new filter.
5. Clean old gasket off pan and trans case, install new gasket and install pan, torque bolts to 89 INCH lbs.
6. Fill with ATF until it starts dripping out the fill hole.
6a. Start car, leave in park/neutral and continue to fill until it comes out the hole. Install drain/fill plug.
6b. Allow car to reach operating temps.
6c. Shift car through R/N/D/3/2/1 and hold in each position for 3-5 seconds. Return to park/neutral.
6d. Get back under car, remove plug and fill until it drips out. Re-install plug and torque to 22ft lbs.

Paraphrased from service manual.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Originally Posted by NukeC5
First thing I did when I bought my 99 was take it in for a Trans/diff fluid change. Definitely a smart thing to do. Might want to do the diff while you're at it. Fluids are getting old on these cars. Change the transmission filter too.
Really the differential? Wasn't aware the car has one. Thought it was one entire unit in the rear of the car?

Originally Posted by dblerman
Car must be level while filling.
1. With car off, remove drain/fill plug.
2. Take shower in trans fluid.
3. Remove trans oil pan. Remove filter and filter seal.
4. Install new filter seal and new filter.
5. Clean old gasket off pan and trans case, install new gasket and install pan, torque bolts to 89 INCH lbs.
6. Fill with ATF until it starts dripping out the fill hole.
6a. Start car, leave in park/neutral and continue to fill until it comes out the hole. Install drain/fill plug.
6b. Allow car to reach operating temps.
6c. Shift car through R/N/D/3/2/1 and hold in each position for 3-5 seconds. Return to park/neutral.
6d. Get back under car, remove plug and fill until it drips out. Re-install plug and torque to 22ft lbs.

Paraphrased from service manual.
Love the bit about getting covered in trans fluid. I've done it in a number of cars and always hate not having a drain plug on the trans.

So it looks like a straight forward trans fluid change. I think on the C6 to get to some of the bolts you need to jack up the trans with the mount bolts removed? Glad to see I don't need to do that on the C5. No recommendations on trans oil? Red Line? Amsoil? Mobil 1?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Trans and diff are separate units but bolt right together. I've heard most transmission experts recommend factory fluid replacement in the corvette. They say it doesn't get better and other brands tend to create bubbles or something like that. I race and just use normal Trans fluid. But my RPM stage two diff has royal purple diff fluid as recommended by RPM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I figure you might as well take a spare quart and dump about half in your hair and just pour the rest on the ground under the trans!

C5 is a pain to fill unles you have a lift. Two people helps as well. But don't pour ATF on the person in the car........

:-)

Ron
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Originally Posted by NukeC5
The Trans and diff are separate units but bolt right together. I've heard most transmission experts recommend factory fluid replacement in the corvette. They say it doesn't get better and other brands tend to create bubbles or something like that. I race and just use normal Trans fluid. But my RPM stage two diff has royal purple diff fluid as recommended by RPM.
Thanks for the info, so whatever is cheaper I should go with. It's the differential that needs the good stuff.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

I had the ATF and rear diff fluid changed by a corvette speciality shop 2 weeks ago on my 2001 Vert at 50,300 miles. After watching, I wouldn't want to do either one of them with the car on jack stands. That definitely would be a PITA.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
do a search, i did my trans last year, you wil need a fluid pump they sell them at harbor freight. you check the level with engine running be sure the car is warmed up. add fluid till it just trickles out the fill plug.
The service manual specifically states that the fluid temp MUST be within 86 - 122 degrees F to take a proper fluid level check.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I figure you might as well take a spare quart and dump about half in your hair and just pour the rest on the ground under the trans!

C5 is a pain to fill unles you have a lift. Two people helps as well. But don't pour ATF on the person in the car........

:-)

Ron
lmao that's about how it goes
Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

I have 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and ready to change trans fluid but I can't find the refill plug. I heard it was on the drivers side bellow the linkage, but I don't see anything. Where do I poor the new fluid into?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dukenukemx
I have 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and ready to change trans fluid but I can't find the refill plug. I heard it was on the drivers side bellow the linkage, but I don't see anything. Where do I poor the new fluid into?
It's on the drivers side of the transmission fluid pan
Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

I was able to find this pic online, this is not my picture, all credit goes to the photographer

Name:  image-1623687426.jpg
Views: 7685
Size:  456.1 KB
Old 08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Thought that was the drain plug? Looks kinda low to be used to refill. I might have found it using my cell phone. I can feel it but not see it. That bolt doesn't seem to have any other reason to exist, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Dukenukemx; 08-24-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought that was the drain plug? Looks kinda low to be used to refill. I might have found it using my cell phone. I can feel it but not see it. That bolt doesn't seem to have any other reason to exist, but I'm not sure.
You drain and fill from the SAME plug. You have to check fluid level and fill the transmission with the engine RUNNING.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Originally Posted by dblerman
You drain and fill from the SAME plug. You have to check fluid level and fill the transmission with the engine RUNNING.
Ok well sounds easy enough. Was expecting the refill plug to be higher but oh well.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto trans fluid change

Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Thought that was the drain plug? Looks kinda low to be used to refill. I might have found it using my cell phone. I can feel it but not see it. That bolt doesn't seem to have any other reason to exist, but I'm not sure. Video Link: http://youtu.be/5sxEqHQ_bRA
Nope, the one I showed you is the fill plug, I promise
Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Got it done though it took only a little over 4 quart. Worst part was getting the seal out, but I
Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Do it, but unless you have a lift, pay a professional!

Quick Reply: Auto trans fluid change