C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid on the floor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Stainsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid on the floor

Found a spot on the floor, and it was significant. I park the car in the same spot all the time, and it was never there before. Also found a spot on the driveway, when I let it sit outside for a few hours. Now, not feeling anything in the brakes, or the clutch. It shifts fine, and it brakes great, so far. Did a lot of searches on here for slave cylinder, and Master cylinder leaks. My leak is under the car, not on the left side, but centered, maybe a bit to the right just behind the front wheel. I went and looked under the car this morning, no brake fluid can I see. When I checked the Master Cylinder reservoir, it was down, and not the clutch. So, am I lucky, and its only the master cylinder? Or, am I looking at a big job replacing the slave cylinder?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Look at the seam on the middle of your brake fluid reservoir- I had the same issue. It turned out that my gasket inside the cap was leaking slowing, causing a gentle seep out, along the horizontal seam, down some lines, onto the frame and into a spot. Hard to figure out at first. Here's the gasket I bought, which cured the leak and sure as hell beats $30 for a new cap at the stealer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141339211485

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Please explain what you mean by FLOOR. Inside or outside of the car or both?

Also, what does not feel anything mean?

Clarity in description can help us in diagnostics. Could be me but reread a couple of times.

If there is a leak near the wheel it could be an issue near there like a line or connection. May want to look in that area by removing the wheel.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

In my case I initially had an intermittent spot on the ground under the middle of the car. A little while later I was disassembling the drivetrain to replace my slave cylinder and clutch. I went to leave a parking space and the pedal went down to the floor.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fed Up
Look at the seam on the middle of your brake fluid reservoir- I had the same issue. It turned out that my gasket inside the cap was leaking slowing, causing a gentle seep out, along the horizontal seam, down some lines, onto the frame and into a spot. Hard to figure out at first. Here's the gasket I bought, which cured the leak and sure as hell beats $30 for a new cap at the stealer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141339211485

Thank you Fed Up, that was exactly the problem, what a relief it wasn't my worst fears!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid on the floor

Quick Reply: Brake fluid on the floor