C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quicker Steering - '99 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM
VETTEC599
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Quicker Steering - '99 FRC

I recently had the opportunity to track my FRC. Just prior to that I installed new track pads, SS lines, fluid, shocks, sway bars, metal end links, and max performance tires + alignment. I found the steering (stock) to be too slow. Is there anything I can do to quicken the ratio?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEC599
I recently had the opportunity to track my FRC. Just prior to that I installed new track pads, SS lines, fluid, shocks, sway bars, metal end links, and max performance tires + alignment. I found the steering (stock) to be too slow. Is there anything I can do to quicken the ratio?
You need to be much more specific on the upgrades you have done for any body to help.
Is your car a Z06 or a BillyBob?
What brand of tires,size and pressure?
What size wheels?
Specs on sway bars?
What brand of brake pads?
What brand of shocks?
What are your alignment specs?
Are you lowered, how much?

All the questions I have asked are must be considered carefully for a usable suspension package.

You can spend some time in the C5 Z06 Forum, a lot of info there. Search Forum members Solofast and Racebum posts to get started.

I to am putting together suspension for next spring at the track. I only know what I have read to date. I have no track expertise. Personally I am upgrading my FE1 suspension to FE4 (springs, sways, stock sway bushings and 04 Z06 shocks), Stock size Z06 wheels and Nitto NT-05 tires (apparently the only stock size tire you can still get for Z06 size wheels for street/ track use). Alignment and lowering by Phoneixville Performance. I'll probably go with Napa solid brake rotors and Hawk HP plus pads with stock brake calipers.

Last edited by jlaw1313@comcast.net; 08-28-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks like the OP already has an upgraded suspension package. It would be good to know the specifics on the components but I believe his question is regarding the steering rack or more specifically, the steering ratio.

I too am curious as to whether there exists a faster ratio steering rack for our cars. I have not yet seen one offered by any vendors or rebuilders. Vendors do offer steering racks with upgraded pumps and other components but none give the option of a faster steering ratio. Anyone have more information to add?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

No, there are no high-speed racks available. TurnOne rebuilds steering racks and pumps to make them run cooler and more robust but there is no way to change the ratio.

Get notified of new replies

To Quicker Steering - '99 FRC

Quick Reply: Quicker Steering - '99 FRC