C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 z06 hard to start after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
klewis34
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 z06 hard to start after sitting

I recently purchased an 04 Z and have noticed that after it sits in the garage that I have to crank it dor about 4 seconds before starting. It runs great, no codes other than 2 on the hvac. After it starts I can shut it off almost immediately and it will start right back up as it should. I've checked the coolant temp sensor and it's reading correctly. Any suggestions on tracking down the problem? I'm wondering about the pressure valve in one of the tanks but I know very little about it, just read on another thread about this creating a similar issue.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by klewis34
I recently purchased an 04 Z and have noticed that after it sits in the garage that I have to crank it dor about 4 seconds before starting. It runs great, no codes other than 2 on the hvac. After it starts I can shut it off almost immediately and it will start right back up as it should. I've checked the coolant temp sensor and it's reading correctly. Any suggestions on tracking down the problem? I'm wondering about the pressure valve in one of the tanks but I know very little about it, just read on another thread about this creating a similar issue.
Could be the battery. How old is the battery? Do you have it on a trickle charger? Something may be discharging the battery.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You also might have an injector leaking down so that there is excess fuel after sitting for a while.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM
klewis34
Advanced

The battery is strong, it doesn't struggle to crank at all, just takes a bit before firing. Is there a simple way to check fuel pressure at the rail to see whether I've got a leaky injector?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You also might have an injector leaking down so that there is excess fuel after sitting for a while.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:50 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

You need a fuel pressure gauge that fits the Schraeder valve on the forward end of the driver's side fuel rail. Note that pressure will drop over time normally. You need an injector test kit if you want to check for leakage.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You need a fuel pressure gauge that fits the Schraeder valve on the forward end of the driver's side fuel rail. Note that pressure will drop over time normally. You need an injector test kit if you want to check for leakage.
Or pop the fuel rail up with all the injectors still attached and lay clean toweling/rags under each one, then turn the key to the "on" position.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

If you need the tools, check Autozone and see if they are part of their loaner program.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

fuel pressure test gauges for these cars are cheap, like 20 shipped on amazon, just a shrader value
Old 08-31-2014, 04:11 PM
klewis34
Advanced

Ok I've picked up a fuel pressure test gauge from O'reilly auto but the loner tool has been well abused and leaks around the connection between it and the fuel rail. I connected it and cycled the key several times, pressure read around 50psi but dropped quickly due to the leak. Given the leak I think the reading was probably in line with what it should be. I'm guessing if I could get a good seal this would allow me to test the pressure valve in the tank, would his be correct? I did also pull the fuel rail and put towels followed by notebook paper down underneath them so I could check for any leaks. After an hour two of eight have a tiny spot on the paper underneath the injectors but I suspect this May have been residual on the end of the injectors righ after pulling. How long should I leave them out to test for leaks?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Ok I've picked up a fuel pressure test gauge from O'reilly auto but the loner tool has been well abused and leaks around the connection between it and the fuel rail. I connected it and cycled the key several times, pressure read around 50psi but dropped quickly due to the leak. Given the leak I think the reading was probably in line with what it should be. I'm guessing if I could get a good seal this would allow me to test the pressure valve in the tank, would his be correct? I did also pull the fuel rail and put towels followed by notebook paper down underneath them so I could check for any leaks. After an hour two of eight have a tiny spot on the paper underneath the injectors but I suspect this May have been residual on the end of the injectors righ after pulling. How long should I leave them out to test for leaks?
are you seriously telling us you bought an 04z and are too cheap to invest in decent tools for your shop?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM
klewis34
Advanced

Originally Posted by racebum
are you seriously telling us you bought an 04z and are too cheap to invest in decent tools for your shop?
Great input, I'm sure I'd be jelous of all your pristine tools.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

If any of those injectors were indeed leaking, you would have known it right away as soon as you turned the key on and the fuel rail became pressurized.

Take the loner tool back and find another one. Try an AZ, or Discount, or maybe NAPA AP store. Get either a loaner that doesn't leak or a buy a new one. They're not expensive. You should be seeing 58 psi (~) and it should hold steady for awhile.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 PM
klewis34
Advanced

Thanks, I plan to borrow one from a coworker on Tuesday. I did hook up the bad one to the rail after reinstalling the injectors and had 58psi when running so pressure is good.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

If this issue turns out to be a faulty check valve, the bad news for you is you're going to have to drop the driver's fuel tank and replace the fuel pump module assembly. That's where your check valve lives (as well as the fuel filter) and it's part of the assembly. Not available separately. Pricing on the unit runs around $200 to $350-ish depending on brand and where you buy it from, etc.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Leave the gauge hooked up. Let the car sit a day or two, however long it normally takes to have the hard start problem. Check the gauge reading before turning the key to on. I bet it is 0psi. Cycle the key to on, do not crank it. What does it read? Cycle the key a couple more times until the gauge reads 58. Now start it. If it starts right up, the check valve is bad. I had the exact same problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 04 z06 hard to start after sitting

Quick Reply: 04 z06 hard to start after sitting