C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 285 Posts
Default '00 turn signals

Discovering all the little "joys" of my new '00 FRC that I picked up last week. Turn signals don't always work. If I punch the flasher button a few times then they start working again. Of course they choose not to work when I have someone on my *** and want to make a turn! The box of course is up behind the dash in some horrible location?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Flashers

The hyperflash looks a helluva lot easier - and if you do this you don't have to futz with the flasher in the dash?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

There are 4 ways to fix a turn signal Hazard switch issue.

1. Remove the console and radio surround bezel and remove and replace the Hazard switch. Cost about $25 for a new switch and can be done in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Very easy to do, not hard or really complicated.

After removing the console and radio bezel you need to remove the radio. If you look at your replacement switch you will see the 2 green tabs on the top and bottom that lock it in place. You will be able to see the lower one when the radio is removed. Push up on the lower tab with a screwdriver while pressing in on the lower part of the switch and you can release the lower tab. Now the switch should be angled up on the end where the wiring connects. Now take a large flat bladed screw driver and place it at the top of the switch. Give the screwdriver a swift rap with a hammer. DON’T overdo it, just a reasonable hard hit and the switch will just pop out.

How to remove the console and bezel for access to the radio:

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

2. Buy a Hyperflash unit for about $65 and install it under the dash. Just requires removing the Knee bolster. About a 1/2 hour job.

3. Buy a used wiring harness that goes from the steering column to the hazard switch. Remove the knee bolster and unplug the existing one and install the replacement. Then install the new Hazard switch on the other end and just place it under the ignition switch where you can access it if you ever need Hazards. Dash will look stock since the old bad switch is still there. Cost is 25$ for switch and about 25$ for used harness. Takes the same time as installing a Hyperflash unit.

Here is info on the wiring harness:

GM P/N 12163776
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product-p/233776.htm

4. Lastly, this is what I did. A relocation similar to #3 but I used the process in #1 to move the existing wiring harness to beneath the ignition switch where I placed a new Hazard switch. I then reinstalled the old Hazard switch in the dash for a stock appearance.

Here is a link for relocation:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...elocation.html

Get notified of new replies

To '00 turn signals

Quick Reply: '00 turn signals