C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 402 stroker surprise surprise!!!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Chuck thanks for your insight.
I didn't put the 20-50 oil in the car , I didn't put the car on the dyno to break it in with 20-50 oil. Ed Hutchins did.
And you are right with oil pressure not going above 55lbs with 20-50 oil in it, it was a problem to begin with.
Terry Bass
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickd1
Chuck thanks for your insight.
I didn't put the 20-50 oil in the car , I didn't put the car on the dyno to break it in with 20-50 oil. Ed Hutchins did.
And you are right with oil pressure not going above 55lbs with 20-50 oil in it, it was a problem to begin with.
Terry Bass
Good luck Terry.. This is quite the mess.. And I feel your pain.

I just went thru something kind of similar, only my builder wasn't at fault, it was the Chinese Compstar crank that flexed and ate the #4 main bearing on an engine I spent $12k on 2 years/8k miles ago on. I just had it rebuilt by the same builder (who does outstanding work) and spent another $8k to rebuild/strengthen it even more. It was a tough pill to swallow... Spending that kind of money twice, not to mention all of the work and down time. This rebuild took 6 months to get the engine back due to Callies production time on Dragonslayer cranks. I'm just now getting it back in the car.. --after this much time and money, it's very easy to lose interest in the project and want to cut your losses(big losses).

My best advice is to tough it out, write off your engine as a loss/bad experience/life lesson, start over and just buy a complete shortblock (or better yet, long block) from a reputable vendor, install/tune it and keep going and enjoy the car.. Yes, you'll be another $10k deep in it, but you will have a car you can enjoy, one you obviously love with all of the appearance mods and stuff...yes you're losing money, but you'll lose way more if you wholesale the car for $15k.

Maybe look at crate LS3 530hp for $7500, intake to pan and with a warranty from Pace or Scoggin Dickey.

Good luck..
Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement.
Sorry for the crap you've gone through also.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:00 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Reading this thread makes me want to go hug my engine builder..... I beat the **** out of my 414ci w a 200 shot.... Never skips a beat... come on down to TX, i'll hook you up...
Sorry to read your story!! I'd b homicidal....
Old 11-01-2015, 11:45 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Has a tear down been done, what failed in this latest engine build. Enquiring minds want to know
Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Good luck Terry.. This is quite the mess.. And I feel your pain.

I just went thru something kind of similar, only my builder wasn't at fault, it was the Chinese Compstar crank that flexed and ate the #4 main bearing on an engine I spent $12k on 2 years/8k miles ago on. I just had it rebuilt by the same builder (who does outstanding work) and spent another $8k to rebuild/strengthen it even more. It was a tough pill to swallow... Spending that kind of money twice, not to mention all of the work and down time. This rebuild took 6 months to get the engine back due to Callies production time on Dragonslayer cranks. I'm just now getting it back in the car.. --after this much time and money, it's very easy to lose interest in the project and want to cut your losses(big losses).

My best advice is to tough it out, write off your engine as a loss/bad experience/life lesson, start over and just buy a complete shortblock (or better yet, long block) from a reputable vendor, install/tune it and keep going and enjoy the car.. Yes, you'll be another $10k deep in it, but you will have a car you can enjoy, one you obviously love with all of the appearance mods and stuff...yes you're losing money, but you'll lose way more if you wholesale the car for $15k.

Maybe look at crate LS3 530hp for $7500, intake to pan and with a warranty from Pace or Scoggin Dickey.

Good luck..
I'm glad you posted your experiences. And I'm even more glad I chose to go with the Dragonslayer crank in my own build from the beginning even though the company that assembled the engine was pushing the cheaper chinese stuff pretty hard. Thanks Mike Norris for the solid advice re: the Dragonslayer. it was overkill for my build but it was worth the piece of mind!
Old 09-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Update
Builder Ed hutchings finally admitted that it wasnt a Callies crank after that's what I wanted and paid for. He admitted to it being a Eagle and said he new i would **** and moan if I new better.
**** you Ed Huthings.
Hack engine builder

ED do you remember when I picked up the white 2k after heads,cam, i took it for a test drive and within a 1/4 mile had to turn around because it was tapping loud as hell.
Limp it back to shop, u pull valve cover and laugh and say your Helper forgot to tighten the rockers..
HACK..
I hope someone shows this to Ed..
AGAIN. Hack..
Here's the new set up
03 LS6, btr stage 4 cam,A&A V3 kit , 9lbs boost

Last edited by Wickd1; 09-23-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

don't use ed hutchins....ever. check
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Check.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:29 PM
derz_vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

This is nightmare fuel.

I need something to calm my nerves...
Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Reading this thread makes me want to go hug my engine builder..... I beat the **** out of my 414ci w a 200 shot.... Never skips a beat... come on down to TX, i'll hook you up...
Sorry to read your story!! I'd b homicidal....

It all worked out after thousands again.
Thanks for your offer..
Old 11-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

It all worked out after thousands again.
Thanks for your offer..
ttt
Old 12-13-2016, 01:23 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Default Ttt. FOR YOU ED HUTCHINGS

For you Ed
Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM
zbc51
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For you Ed
What an A@shol@ This ED HUTCHINS guy is
Old 01-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Soo feeling your pain. With that much money invested, you'd be foolish NOT to pursue a Small Claims court suit. As a fellow victim of a shady engine builder and successful SC plaintiff, some advice:
-print out every email, copy to tape every voicemail, gather up every scrap of paper associated with these two builds. Yes, its a pain in the ****, but-
-preparation wins the day.
-talk to his employees away from the shop. Have a beer with the guy who bores the engine blocks; you might find he's not on board with what the owner does to their customers (funny story from my experience, later).

I won all of my money back plus the original block and parts, some of which I was able to sell. Once I produced my evidence to the judge, he looked at the builder and said simply "my friend, I suggest you settle this quickly..".
Good luck with whatever direction you take.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Armycop
Wow. Soo feeling your pain. With that much money invested, you'd be foolish NOT to pursue a Small Claims court suit. As a fellow victim of a shady engine builder and successful SC plaintiff, some advice:
-print out every email, copy to tape every voicemail, gather up every scrap of paper associated with these two builds. Yes, its a pain in the ****, but-
-preparation wins the day.
-talk to his employees away from the shop. Have a beer with the guy who bores the engine blocks; you might find he's not on board with what the owner does to their customers (funny story from my experience, later).

I won all of my money back plus the original block and parts, some of which I was able to sell. Once I produced my evidence to the judge, he looked at the builder and said simply "my friend, I suggest you settle this quickly..".
Good luck with whatever direction you take.
thanks for the great advice, glad you won yours, its a damn shame when a man gets ripped off and *** screwed by a shady builder,
ive moved on, ill just let this thread keep going as a reminder to Ed..
I had a guy contact me the other day asking about this thread, and Ed. Told him to run run away from Ed.
he was going to Guy a car with a Ed built motor in it.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

thanks for the great advice, glad you won yours, its a damn shame when a man gets ripped off and *** screwed by a shady builder,
ive moved on, ill just let this thread keep going as a reminder to Ed..
I had a guy contact me the other day asking about this thread, and Ed. Told him to run run away from Ed.
he was going to Guy a car with a Ed built motor in it.
TTT ED.🖕 buddy🖕

Get notified of new replies

To My 402 stroker surprise surprise!!!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that **** sucks bud
Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

OHH MYYY. Man I am so sorry for your loss. And to Mr. Ed.....life has a funny way of throwing curve *****. One of them being karma. Your name being tarnished in the Hi performance world will forever be a stain you WILL NOT be able to remove.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:40 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Hope google picks up this review thread of Ed Hutchins engine builder.

What a scammer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 402 stroker surprise surprise!!!