C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 VR - Power Duct installation woes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 VR - Power Duct installation woes...

Anyone else ever had an issue trying to install the Vararam Power Duct? The issue that I am having is that the 4" long hose that goes from the front of the duct fits fine on the Vararam itself (I have a Vararam as well), but for the life of me I cannot get the hose to connect to the front part of the Power duct. Measuring the two, it looks as though the inlet for the duct is about .25 bigger than the inlet for the Vararam itself. This is driving me nuts!

Any ideas or tips?? I've tried soapy water, WD-40, etc.. IT just seems there is no way that hose is going to fit on the front end of the duct.

Thanks!

Russ
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 AM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a hell of a time with mine but finally got it just like everything else with that intake lol. Just used spray lube and flat heads to walk it on so tight I doubt you even need the clamp.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Where are you placing the MAF?
I have the MAF connected to the VR with short hose. The maf fit snugly into the duct. Duct to TB is a 4" long 4" dis hose.

I'll say this. Figuring this all out was a PITA. I sent VR an email complaining about the instructions, hoses supplied etc. They sent me more silicone hose.
Kudos to them for that.

I have the larger 85mm maf.

It also a pain just to take it off.

Ron
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 AM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for the record and for those contemplating purchase, I didn't have any trouble at all with my install of my Vararam (2003 C5). I didn't get the 'Power Duct", however, I just used my existing crossover.

I used the simplified installation method shown on YouTube (sponsored by Vararam) and also a tip from this forum: don't bother using screws to attach lower ducts to the foglight cutouts - it self-adjusts and fits plenty snug without screws. I did use a little black duct tape to cover the gaps in the parts that make up the collectors and plenum.

The car is a stocker and never dyno'ed, so I can't point to any big HP increase. However, just a simple K&N filter was like $80, whereas the Vararam complete with a hipo filter was just $227 with free ship (Maryland Speed). Seemed like an interesting project, and I am very satisfied with the result.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smartadze
I did use a little black duct tape to cover the gaps in the parts that make up the collectors and plenum.
With all due respect, you find this normal??? Really?? If I had to use duct tape to install any aftermarket mod, no matter the price, it would be tossed in the trash. When is Vararam going to finally provide its customers with a quality made and fitting product? There is no excuse!!! Just my two cents.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM
MCAF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new Vararam and it comes with pieces of 1/8" foam that has sticky stuff on one side to cover the holes and gaps.

So they were aware of the gaps and supplied the material to cover it up

Mike
Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
With all due respect, you find this normal??? Really?? If I had to use duct tape to install any aftermarket mod, no matter the price, it would be tossed in the trash. When is Vararam going to finally provide its customers with a quality made and fitting product? There is no excuse!!! Just my two cents.
I must admit thought the same thing when I read his post. I like the concept of the product but by far worst quality of any product I've ever bought for any of my cars.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I installed the MAF between the filter and power duct. The coupler for the power duct to TB that they provided me was too small. I gave them a call and they sent me proper sized coupler right away.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 VR - Power Duct installation woes...

Quick Reply: C5 VR - Power Duct installation woes...