C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Headlights won't come on!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default HELP! Headlights won't come on!!

Hi Guys,

Last night a was leaving a restaurant and the headlights decided not to come on... Let me first give you some info about the car:

2000 A4 Coupe
Depo aftermarket fixed headlights w/3000K HID kit (low beams only)
-aftermarket lights/HID have been on the car for 2-3 years

So although the headlights didn't come on, the gauge lights were all lit. When I switched to high beams, they came on without issue. I tried flicking the stalk manually to actuate the lights but, again, nothing...

My first guess was that a relay burnt out, but after doing some quick research on here I learned that there isn't one as such.... anyone have any ideas?!?! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
ChuckWalters
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fuses 8 and 10 in the under the hood fuse box. Also check circuit breaker 54 in the fuse box under the carpet on the passenger side fuse box.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:22 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by ChuckWalters
Check fuses 8 and 10 in the under the hood fuse box. Also check circuit breaker 54 in the fuse box under the carpet on the passenger side fuse box.
Thanks Chuck! I'll let you know what I find...
Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Hi Chuck,

Unfortunately, no luck. The fuses checked out so I swapped out the breaker and still no lights. Does this mean there's a wiring issue somewhere? Please note, there has been no intermittent success with this issue, the lights have been out cold out since last night. I've never had any issues with them previously...
Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 PM
ChuckWalters
Racer

Jim,

Another thing to check is that the installer may have installed a relay harness. HID conversion kit wiring relay harness' are for vehicles with poor battery, alternator, or heavy draw on power from stereo's or any low voltage issues. This wiring allows you to get power from the battery directly instead of the connector for the headlight bulb. If that has gone bad, that would be your problem. If you find one, you can take it out of the circuit and try the lights again, if they light, you will need a new relay. Here is a pic of what one looks like. It may be down under the light housing near one of the ballasts or more likely, near the engine fuse box as it has to hook up to the battery. See bottom diagram on how they hook up.

Short of that, the next thing I would look at are the ballasts that control the firing of the HID bulbs. What is odd is that if it is the ballasts, it would be both of them failing (each light has it's own).

Last edited by ChuckWalters; 08-31-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Jim,

Another thing to check is that the installer may have installed a relay harness. HID conversion kit wiring relay harness' are for vehicles with poor battery, alternator, or heavy draw on power from stereo's or any low voltage issues. This wiring allows you to get power from the battery directly instead of the connector for the headlight bulb. If that has gone bad, that would be your problem. If you find one, you can take it out of the circuit and try the lights again, if they light, you will need a new relay. Here is a pic of what one looks like. It may be down under the light housing near one of the ballasts or more likely, near the engine fuse box as it has to hook up to the battery. .......
Excellent advice. Aftermarket headlight units require their own wiring harnesses be installed on the vehicle, and there will always be a fuse, as well as a relay incorporated into it.

My low beams on my aftermarket HID lights also recently failed to turn on, and after doing some troubleshooting, I found the fuse was good but the relay was bad; a victim of some corrosion and roached contacts. They're not sealed, so over time, moisture can cause problems. For a replacement, I bought a better quality relay which also has higher current rated contacts (40 amp) as well. Simple plug-in and all's well.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Excellent advice. Aftermarket headlight units require their own wiring harnesses be installed on the vehicle, and there will always be a fuse, as well as a relay incorporated into it.

My low beams on my aftermarket HID lights also recently failed to turn on, and after doing some troubleshooting, I found the fuse was good but the relay was bad; a victim of some corrosion and roached contacts. They're not sealed, so over time, moisture can cause problems. For a replacement, I bought a better quality relay which also has higher current rated contacts (40 amp) as well. Simple plug-in and all's well.
Where is the relay located?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 AM
ChuckWalters
Racer

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Where is the relay located?
Look up at my post above. It will be near the engine fuse box or the battery. Look for something that looks like the first picture.

Last edited by ChuckWalters; 09-01-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Look up at my post above. It will be near the engine fuse box or the battery. Lok for something that looks like the first picture.
Thanks Chuck, I'll let you know what I find
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 PM
ChuckWalters
Racer

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Thanks Chuck, I'll let you know what I find
Jim, how did you make out?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Still haven't found the problem. I bought a multimeter and will start troubleshooting this weekend

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Headlights won't come on!!

Quick Reply: HELP! Headlights won't come on!!