C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 2002 fuel pump fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM
William123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 2002 fuel pump fuse blows

A shop put a new engine in my 2002 corvette first they left the main starter wires loose and I got a engine charge fault fixed that now the car blows the fuel pump fuse as soon as I try to start it. So we disconnected both pumps and it still blows the fuse. On the relay circuit 85 86 and 87 that are marked on the bottom of the relay are all grounded. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go back to the shop because they charge 60 dollars each for valve cover gaskets they charged me for 9 quarts of oil. My car went in with half of tank of gas they ran out of gas and charged me $25 for 3 gallons of gas. When I called them about this problem they said to bring it and and all I would have to pay is the diagnosis fee.

Last edited by William123; 09-01-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Pinched or burned harness would be my guess. Visually inspect the exhaust manifold/headers and front pipes. Also all around the bell housing. A good flashlight and a welders mirror would help. A bore scope would be very helpful for the top of the bell.

Last edited by martysauto; 09-01-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by martysauto
Pinched or burned harness would be my guess. Visually inspect the exhaust manifold/headers and front pipes. Also all around the bell housing. A good flashlight and a welders mirror would help. A bore scope would be very helpful for the top of the bell.
:iagree With a little troubleshooting and a good inspection you should find your problem. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would look in the tunnel. That wire harness is easily crushed

Yep,, Back of the engine where the bell housing / engine come together is another PINCH spot.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Roofless
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Default Fuel pump fuse burns out

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I would look in the tunnel. That wire harness is easily crushed

Yep,, Back of the engine where the bell housing / engine come together is another PINCH spot.
I had a similar problem, car just stopped and would not start, when depressing the start button it would whril and not stop when removing my finger. Took it in to the dealer (I know, I know) and after $600 in "inspection costs" to include dropping the fuel tank. they replaced the melted fuse (20 amp) with a 25 amp car runs fine now, my concern is the higher amp fuse going to the fuel pump, if it got hot enough to melt should there be any concern about fire to the tank? The General should know about the limits of fuse limit it seems.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 2002 fuel pump fuse blows

Quick Reply: C5 2002 fuel pump fuse blows