C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right (Passenger) Side Headlight Not Coming up

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM
97C5Rebel
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right (Passenger) Side Headlight Not Coming up

First, I just became part of the Corvette family by purchasing a 1997 Vette. Now the issue:

My right side headlight does not come up unless I adjust the manual **** on the Headlight Motor Headlamp Actuator. Then is works fine while the car is running. After the car is turned off, and a couple of hours later, the headlight does not come up again. But if I repeat the same above procedure, it works fine. The manual **** does work by moving the headlight up and down.

I have tried to "find" the problem, but had no success. Could it be possible that I need a new Headlight Motor Headlamp Actuator?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:43 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Could be the module. Pull your DIC trouble codes as a start and see if anything shows up. Not at home with the FSM to see if a code could be thrown for that issue.

We can do some diagnostics before we start replacing anything.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM
97C5Rebel
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Could be the module. Pull your DIC trouble codes as a start and see if anything shows up. Not at home with the FSM to see if a code could be thrown for that issue.

We can do some diagnostics before we start replacing anything.

After running manual diagnostics, I get the following codes ; P1571 H and 38-RTD NO COMM. This is from 1997 Corvette. No other codes appear.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Those codes are not related. You can record a record of them and remove them and see if they come back in the future.

If I am correct the passenger headlight will go down just fine but not come up right?

First look at the HL door bumper stops. You can compare them to the driver side. They can affect operation.

Also, I want to know if you can hear the motor running to try and raise the light.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here is a link on the bumper stop and a source if you need them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587766141
Old 09-06-2014, 08:44 PM
97C5Rebel
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Here is a link on the bumper stop and a source if you need them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587766141
I could not hear the motor running in a attempt to raise the headlight. But, I did locate the bump stops, at least three of them. I did turn the manual **** about a inch or so, then turned on the lights and the lights popped up. After I turned the lights off and they retracted, the problem light (right side), I then turn the **** back an inch or so in a tighten motion. Turned the lights back on, and the right light stayed closed. After analyzing the bump stops that were contacted by the closed position, I turned around the one I could reach without disassembly, and started the process of the above again. The lights popped up and have been in workable operation ever since. I will try the next several days of operating the lights and see if problem is solved.

I am ordering a new complete set of bump stops from the link you provided and replacing the current ones. BTW, the stop I turned around was indented about 80 percent into the plastic and was the stop that was located by the headlight motor.

I want to thank you in helping me solving/solved this situation. It has saved me money and time. I will post in several days from now if this appears to be the solution.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

You are very welcome. Don't you like simple fixes?

I am not sure exactly how they "truly" affect the operation but I know they do. Have not had to work on my lights----yet. Just something I learned from the experience of others. In the nuclear industry we call that OE for operating experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Right (Passenger) Side Headlight Not Coming up

Quick Reply: Right (Passenger) Side Headlight Not Coming up