C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Vette, DIC codes/abs/stability/traction

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to Vette, DIC codes/abs/stability/traction

Hi all,
I'm brand new here and brand new to the Vette. My Dad wanted a C7, but his rear end didn't fit, so he wanted a C6. I practically stole his car (my counter offer was double what he wanted to sell it to me for).
I am the new owner of a 2001 C5 convertible. It has an intake, kooks long tube headers, and the billy boat prt's.
The car says to service abs, traction control, and stability control. I pulled the codes, cleared them, then repulled the codes and I need help figuring out what needs to be done next.
I've looked them up, but they don't make sense.
C1214 HC
B2605 H

Last time I pulled codes, the B wasn't there, but P1153 C was.

What's next? ABS fixer?

HELP! My wife is pissed because I won't let her drive it without abs and tcs working.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
ABSFIXER is one alternative. There are similar services advertised on EBAY that many Forum members have used and then there is the DIY :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-fleabay.html

If you are handy with a small soldering iron (not a solder gun) your out of pocket will be under $20...
Thanks. I saw the DIY and also the DIY for the auto climate control dimming. I don't have a cold soldering iron and I'm a little nervous doing stuff like this on my own. I talked to my dad about it and he said "when's the last time you cold soldered? What happens if you mess it up?"

We have a local Corvette mechanic guy, but he hurt his back a few weeks ago and he's been unable to help. I'm hoping he recovers enough in the next week or so to take a look.

Anyone else have any ideas other than the absfixer/eBay route?

It's a little odd what's been happening with the car. When I got it, the rf wheel sensor wasn't working. I kept getting RF XXXXX on the DIC. Then one day, it rained, so I left it garaged. The next morning, it worked again.

I love the car, but I have to wonder if GM could have done things a bit simpler or with slightly better parts. 11 computers? Grounds that aren't sealed?

It reminds me of the joke my dad told me the other day: Why did GM put a $1.50 trunk release on a $50,000 Cadillac? Because they ran out of the $.50 trunk releases.

Btw, for what it's worth, I'm 39. I'm not a 16 year old. I keep referring to my dad and don't want you to think I'm some rotten kid.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Adrenalin521
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem a week ago. 8vette7 helped me with this link... Print the DIY instructions. Take them to your mechanic if you don't trust yourself. He'll be done in a couple hours. My mechanic loved the trick and said he learned something and will use it again to save his customers money. Have driven couple hundred miles no more issues, codes, etc. enjoy your vette!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Adrenalin521
Had the same problem a week ago. 8vette7 helped me with this link... Print the DIY instructions. Take them to your mechanic if you don't trust yourself. He'll be done in a couple hours. My mechanic loved the trick and said he learned something and will use it again to save his customers money. Have driven couple hundred miles no more issues, codes, etc. enjoy your vette!
Thank you.
I'll print them up and give them to my mechanic when he is back on his feet.
Not having abs, I locked the wheels up in a panic stop when some oblivious yahoo drove across four lanes of traffic without looking.
I also accidentally lit up the tires from a stop at a light and the rear stepped out a bit while getting on the highway in the rain.
It's got enough scratches on it. I don't need more.
When I locked up the tires, the only thing running through my mind was "you've had the car less than a week. Here is when you wreck it."
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Jeffislouie
Intermediate

Thanks for the info!
I took the EBCM off of the car on Saturday. I'm not going to lie, it took me about two hours. I'm always super careful when it comes to doing stuff to my cars for two reasons: first, I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy- I've taken an alternator off of a 1979 MGB, replaced a door lock actuator on a 2005 Accord, and put a K&N on the same Accord. Second, I have big hands that don't fit in many places.

A few notes, in the event anyone searches and finds this: make sure you have a T20 screwdriver that isn't very long and not a screwdriver that accepts bits. My bit driver wouldn't fit. Also, be careful when reattaching your air filter. I have a blackwing and realized today that it is being held onto by the hose clamps (I'll be fixing that goof up when I get home). You will have to lean over the fender and get into some awkward positions to remove this little bugger, so stretch those hamstrings! Also, the T20 screws are on the very edge of the unit. I couldn't figure out why my T20 wouldn't fit the screws until I realized I was trying to unscrew the wrong ones.

A competent human with normal sized hands probably could have had this thing out in under 30 minutes. A mechanic, I'd wager, could have had this thing out in a few minutes.

I spoke with Brandon from absfixer.com, purchased the repair online, and shipped it out today via UPS. I paid $14.36 to ship out and the UPS guy told me it would be there by the end of the day Wednesday. I paid extra through absfixer.com to have it sent back guaranteed by 3 pm and probably could have saved about $10.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have it back in a week and will put it back on asap. Next up? TPMS need replacing. My front right works intermittently and it's overdue to have the batteries replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To New to Vette, DIC codes/abs/stability/traction

Quick Reply: New to Vette, DIC codes/abs/stability/traction