C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:57 AM
stainless2007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

I live in Wisconsin and it is getting cold. Is it ok to just pull the battery out for the winter or will that mess up the electronics? Also In my lawn mower, snow blower etc I put in 20% Lucas oil to coat the cylinders because they are not started often. Can I do that with my C5?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I dislike having to go through all the hassle of re-programing the items that might lose their info when the battery is out for a long period of time. I also don't like leaving the engine (pistons and valve springs, for example) in one position for 3-4 months, so I like to be able to start it up and let it run for 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times over the winter.

Therefore, I leave the battery in the car, and once a week, usually when I'm clearing the driveway with the snowblower, I put the battery charger on the car. Now I know a lot of people will rush in, and tell you to get a battery tender, but in my case, I have an attached garage, and don't trust a tender. I don't need one to overheat, and burn down my garage and house.

With respect to oil in the gas, your snow blower and mower don't have catalytic converters, so it's not an issue. I wouldn't add oil to the gas in the car, however, just a good dose of fuel stabilizer. Also, pump up the tires to 40-45 lbs. of air pressure, and see if you can find some old carpet squares, and put them under the tires.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 PM
stainless2007
Intermediate

Thank you. When I mentioned that I put in Lucas oil I meant that when I take it in for the oil change I tell the to add the Lucas for my normal cars, mower etc. What do you think?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stainless2007
Thank you. When I mentioned that I put in Lucas oil I meant that when I take it in for the oil change I tell the to add the Lucas for my normal cars, mower etc. What do you think?
Do you mean that you add the Lucas oil to the crankcase? If so, I really doubt that it's necessary. I've been "winter storing" cars since the 70s, and never really added anything special to the oil. In my cars that have conventional oil in them, I've always used STP as an additive, especially since the oils are now required to meet the "SN" levels of reduced ZDPP, and STP had that as an ingredient. So, when I park my Camaro, for instance, it has clean oil, with STP, in it. With syn oil, I doubt you'd need any additional suppliments.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM
stainless2007
Intermediate

Default winterizing

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do you mean that you add the Lucas oil to the crankcase? If so, I really doubt that it's necessary. I've been "winter storing" cars since the 70s, and never really added anything special to the oil. In my cars that have conventional oil in them, I've always used STP as an additive, especially since the oils are now required to meet the "SN" levels of reduced ZDPP, and STP had that as an ingredient. So, when I park my Camaro, for instance, it has clean oil, with STP, in it. With syn oil, I doubt you'd need any additional suppliments.
what kind of tsp
Old 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM
stainless2007
Intermediate

What kind of STP. What does it say on the can?
Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stainless2007
What kind of STP. What does it say on the can?
According to the label of a bottle of STP that I randomly pulled off the shelf at one of the auto parts stores, the label said it contained ZDDP. I don't think I picked up a special bottle.....
Old 09-14-2014, 03:53 PM
stainless2007
Intermediate

Thank you for all your help.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This is my winter storage process:
1) Change the oil and filter
2) Get a full tank of gas (94 octane)
3) Add Stabil fuel stabilized in tank and start car. Let it run for 15 minutes.
4) Add air to tires. 40-45 psi to avoid flat spotting. Probably not an issue put I like to be safe.
5) Plug in the Ctek 3300 battery maintainer. I do not disconnect battery from car.

Whenever possible during the winter months, I take her out for a few laps around the block. Of course, this is heavily dependant on the type of winter we are having.

That's it. I've been doing this for the last 5 years with absolutely no issues. Make sure you are using a reliable battery maintainer. I have found the Ctek to be the best (based on regular verifications during winter months including voltage readings).
Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
4) Add air to tires. 40-45 psi to avoid flat spotting. Probably not an issue put I like to be safe.
5) Plug in the Ctek 3300 battery maintainer. I do not disconnect battery from car.

Whenever possible during the winter months, I take her out for a few laps around the block. Of course, this is heavily dependant on the type of winter we are having.

That's it. I've been doing this for the last 5 years with absolutely no issues. Make sure you are using a reliable battery maintainer. I have found the Ctek to be the best (based on regular verifications during winter months including voltage readings).
I live in wi also i have used the same as above for the last 9 years with no problems
Old 09-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Consider moving to SoCal you can drive the car 360 days a year. Yea it rains the other 5
Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I disconnect my battery. My C5 is stored ~240 miles from home, so I don't have anyway to keep an eye on it if varmints or other things get into the wiring, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind

I live in Calgary and been doing almost the same for 18 years (C4 and now C5), I only put in about 35 - 38 psi in the Tires If I remember to do it at all, and a battery tender. Never a problem to date.

Get notified of new replies

To Winterizing

Quick Reply: Winterizing