C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Z06 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:47 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default 2003 Z06 Overheating

Team, bear with me as I give a little background and history here as this seems to be a tough issue. I've highlighted the key points to try to do a tl;dr path.

I bought my Z about 3 years ago with 86K on the clock. It's now at 125K and has been relatively trouble-free with the usual exceptions (EBCM/SWPS, etc.) About a year ago it threw an AC belt...and immediately started to overheat as well.

Now...I don't want to get into the "these things run hot" discussion, please. I keep the radiator cleared out of gunk and the air dam is in place. Typical road temps or long-term idle temps were between 200 and 220 or so. But now I had multiple situations in traffic where the temps hit 255-260 and triggered a CEL. That is by definition...overheating.

A good local Corvette shop replaced the A/C belt and the water pump but this didn't make any difference at all. I kind of lived with it through the winter, but now in the depths of summer I decided to get serious and find out what was going on.

First was using an ultraviolet dye kit, and I found coolant both at the overflow tank top fitting and at the shaft in the pump. I replaced both. Initially, this seemed to be better if not quite back to normal. At extended idle, the temp would get to around 230 and stabilize. But within a few weeks I was right back at 255+ in traffic.

Where do I go from here?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Have you got under the car and looked at the radiator? You may need to clean it out. Leaves, dirt, grass and other debris can be clogging up the fins making it not cool. You might need to clean it out with a water or air spray.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Have you got under the car and looked at the radiator? You may need to clean it out. Leaves, dirt, grass and other debris can be clogging up the fins making it not cool. You might need to clean it out with a water or air spray.
Yep, it's clean.

Originally Posted by billla
I keep the radiator cleared out of gunk and the air dam is in place.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:00 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull thermostat and put it in a pot of water with a thermometer and start heating it and see if it opens at temp stamped on it. Do a pressure test on the system too. You sure both fans kick on??
Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Pull thermostat and put it in a pot of water with a thermometer and start heating it and see if it opens at temp stamped on it. Do a pressure test on the system too. You sure both fans kick on??
I checked the thermostat before changing the water pump and it was correct. I'll do a pressure test tonight.

I have verified that both fans are on when temps are > 234 degrees.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

These are relatively self-bleeding systems (not like some BMWs I've had where the coolant system will grenade on your from a little air), but it almost sounds like you have air in the system. My thoughts drift towards...

1. Air in the system
2. What is your coolant/water ratio. And is the coolant new or recycled?
3. Did they transplant the thermostat from the old water pump to the new one?
4. If not, replace it.
5. And last, and most fearfully, do you think your radiator has sediment in it to the point of being clogged?

All questions to think on. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:13 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Fed Up
1. Air in the system
2. What is your coolant/water ratio. And is the coolant new or recycled?
3. Did they transplant the thermostat from the old water pump to the new one?
4. If not, replace it.
5. And last, and most fearfully, do you think your radiator has sediment in it to the point of being clogged?
1. It is hard for me to imagine where this would occur, but I'm interested.

2. 50/50. New.

3. On the pump I replaced it was a new thermostat and housing.

4. See 3

5. I really don't think so - the coolant that came out when I changed the 2nd pump looked pretty good.

Open for any and all ideas
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
1. It is hard for me to imagine where this would occur, but I'm interested.

2. 50/50. New.

3. On the pump I replaced it was a new thermostat and housing.

4. See 3

5. I really don't think so - the coolant that came out when I changed the 2nd pump looked pretty good.

Open for any and all ideas

I would lean toward air in the system then, if you're comfortable with all your hardware. When the system was opened up (big time opened up, like a WP replacement or other engine-side coolant loss/replacement), air can get into the block if it's not bled properly after the install. The air will travel around and spike your temperatures. Bleeding is pretty basic- Start from cold, and give it a shot. Directions are abundant on the forum.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

try blowing out all the debris from the ac condenser and radiator... it may look clean but you would be surprised how much crap can be stuck in there... you might also have a tuner check your fan on/off settings, that alone can get your car running much cooler
Old 09-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of your catalytic converters could be going bad. If one of those converters started to melt (prolong engine misfire, ignoring or delaying the change of an O2 sensor, or the converter it at its end of life) , it would increases enough back pressure causing the engine (a mechanical pump) to work harder to push out the exhaust gasses, this will cause the engine to work harder and thus run hotter. Cars with this problem notice their engines overheat at highway speeds, and with a little loss of power (probably due to too much back pressure). Something to check is your certain all other issues are normal.
Ray
Old 09-26-2014, 03:59 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Wow, I might need to pull my aftermarket cats off and check them out then.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

with all you've checked, and from what you've written; i think it needs to be 'burped'.

Air trapped somewhere within the system.

Don
Old 10-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Texas1ao
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air in system

Had air block after changing tstat. Check out the post to bleed air from heads. Do a search for post title overheating??! Worked like a charm on mine.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Racinjace22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, bleed air from lines on head. if not it will catch air and run hot everytime
Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Check the radiator after your stat is new or working properly. The radiator it's 11 years old; they do accumulate dirt along the fins. It's time to get it cleaned up with compressed air or a power sprayer.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:23 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Necroing my own thread, as I just got time to get back to this problem

Still hitting 250+ on more than about 20 miles on the freeway or driving around town. I can just barely keep it below that.

It's been "burped" multiple times, including getting a full stream from the crossover at the front of the heads.

Last night I used phosphorescent dye to check for leaks - none.

Today I pressure checked the system and the cap. The system held 14 PSI for 5 minutes with no change, the cap held 14 and burped at a little over 15.

Given this, the system seems tight and there appears to be only one place left to look. I'm pulling the radiator tomorrow AM and testing/replacing the thermostat.

If I'm off base, now's the time

Last edited by billla; 08-12-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:06 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Damn dude, it's still overheating like two years later? I assume it'll overheat when you idle it, right?

At this point, I'd be looking into wholesale replacement of cooling system - new radiator etc. Because screw it.

Have you hooked up an OBD2 scanner to check all the values the ECU reports? For example, engine load % - maybe something is totally screwed and is causing your engine load to be very high in normal conditions. I would try that, go through your various parameters and see if any are out of spec.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 Z06 Overheating

Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by gimp
Damn dude, it's still overheating like two years later?
It's not a daily driver, and in winter it's not really a problem.

I assume it'll overheat when you idle it, right?
If it sits long enough, yes.

At this point, I'd be looking into wholesale replacement of cooling system - new radiator etc.
Why would I do that? The system is tight - it's just not cooling. Working through the problem will get it fixed; the radiator is coming out today, and in the end I suspect it's just going to be full of crap. It ain't broke, and the system works for millions of C5s.

Have you hooked up an OBD2 scanner to check all the values the ECU reports? For example, engine load % - maybe something is totally screwed and is causing your engine load to be very high in normal conditions. I would try that, go through your various parameters and see if any are out of spec.
I appreciate the thought, but the tune is stock (verified, as I SS autocross now and again) there are no codes and the engine runs great. I could see an overheat if the timing was well advanced, but any issues with the tune would show up in other ways.

I think we'll have this solved today with cleaning the radiator - I'll post pics in an hour or so and we'll see what was in it I have cleaned it out a bit, but this is the first time it's been out. Doesn't look like too bad of a job.

Last edited by billla; 08-13-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

I sent you a pm, did you get it ?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:55 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Here's the new (top) and old (bottom) thermostats @190 degrees F - these both look fine to me, although I'd kind of expect them to be further open...

Quick Reply: 2003 Z06 Overheating