C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise on start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:29 PM
joeeyl
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise on start up

I have a scraping noise when the engine starts but this is not every time when it starts. This will happen maybe once in 20 times of starting. The noise sounds from the engine and I have checked with a stethoscope and can not pin point it in any thing that I can check. The noise will last for around 2 to 3 minutes then go away. The volt shows around 12 while noise present then goes to 14 after noise leaves. The alternator is turning and the bearings sound normal.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joeeyl
I have a scraping noise when the engine starts but this is not every time when it starts. This will happen maybe once in 20 times of starting. The noise sounds from the engine and I have checked with a stethoscope and can not pin point it in any thing that I can check. The noise will last for around 2 to 3 minutes then go away. The volt shows around 12 while noise present then goes to 14 after noise leaves. The alternator is turning and the bearings sound normal.
You pretty well answered your own question. If your alternator voltage drops 2 full volts while the noise is present, I would suspect the alternator is going bad. What is the mileage?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM
joeeyl
3rd Gear

The vet has 76,000 and I thought that was the problem but the dealer has looked at this problem and they say the alternator is ok. The noise has not been heard by the dealer for it will go away before I could get it there. The dealer did keep the car for a week and tried starting it often but it did not do it while they had the car.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joeeyl
The vet has 76,000 and I thought that was the problem but the dealer has looked at this problem and they say the alternator is ok. The noise has not been heard by the dealer for it will go away before I could get it there. The dealer did keep the car for a week and tried starting it often but it did not do it while they had the car.
Don't worry about it--would happen all the time if a problem--drive it
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 PM
joeeyl
3rd Gear

Found the noise and it was the bendix in the starter was not releasing when started.
The noise did not go away in very short time and was able to get to dealer before it quit.
The dealer was able to locate the noise and replaced the starter. This was the first one with that noise that they have seen in the C-5. They do a lot of Corvette work.
Thanks to all for help and encouragement in resolving this problem.
Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Engine noise on start up

Quick Reply: Engine noise on start up