C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 PM
jreece45
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 overheating

I have 2000 C5 overheating problem. Would welcome any suggestions. Thermostat has been replaced. Still overheating in traffic. Took it to the dealer, could not find a problem other than a little low on freon. They did check the fans to make sure they were working correctly but a few hundred dollars later it is still overheating. Runs fine on the hwy if not in any traffic.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:32 PM
jreece45
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You need to define (temps) "OVERHEATING". These cars run warmer than many would like when in traffic. 220 to 230 on a hot day in traffic is not uncommon with AC on.

Have you checked for and cleaned the debris from the radiator fins???

These cars are bottom breathers for cooling air for the radiator and suck up all sorts of road trash as a result.....
If in heavy traffic it runs about 230. Have never let it get past 240 so I don't know if it would just continue to climb. I have owned this car for about 10 years and it has never run this hot before
Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM
jreece45
6th Gear

You need to define (temps) "OVERHEATING". These cars run warmer than many would like when in traffic. 220 to 230 on a hot day in traffic is not uncommon with AC on.

These cars are bottom breathers for cooling air for the radiator and suck up all sorts of road trash as a result.....

If in traffic it will run about 230-235. Have never let it go past this. I don't know if it would continue to climb. I have owned this car for 10 years and it has never run this hot before. It normally runs about 198 and up to 210 in traffic.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 PM
jreece45
6th Gear

WHEN was the last time you cleaned the radiator fins? What does the coolant in the surge tank look like? Reddish or muddy brown??
The coolant is reddish and it has been about 2 years since it was cleaned, but I do not drive the car often
Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Make sure both fans work at both low and high speeds. If it does not get hot while driving at speed or when running it hard, the radiator, wp and engine should be fine. Verify correct coolant level and recheck the fans.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a problem once where my car was running hot. Turned out one of my cooling fans (2 in car) was not working fully. Would work in low speed but not in high speed. Fan was bad. You could also check the fuses for the fans to be sure everything is good there as well. 3 fuses and 3 relays are in the circuit for the fans. Underhood fuse box fuses 46,49 and 14. Relays 43,44 and 45.

Also check what was said above. These cars are bottom feeders and can pick up a bunch of junk. That is a usual problem. And of course your coolant and bleeding the system to make sure there is no air in the system. That would cause overheating as well. So maybe some new water/coolant and bleeding the air in the system is all that is needed.

Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:55 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Avoid the Stealership like a transvestite hooker with herpes.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:23 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
Avoid the Stealership like a transvestite hooker with herpes.
I didn't know that herpes ridden transvestite hookers avoided stealerships. Where do they buy their cars then?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Things to check....also, stay away from the stealership...solve the problem.
1. Do a full system flush and replace with fresh DexCool and distilled water. 50/50 mix.
2. After the system flush, make sure you burp the system...get rid of air bubbles.
3. Check the hoses...should be hot and round/not collasped.
4. Make sure the water pump is working. Pull cap and see the coolant movement.
5. Change to a new pressure cap.
6. Make sure your T-stat is working and at the correct temp.
7. Get the front end off the ground and check for debris in or in front of the radiator.

Do the above and get back to us.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:42 AM
jreece45
6th Gear

[QUOTE=runner140*;1587849546]Things to check....also, stay away from the stealership...solve the problem.
1. Do a full system flush and replace with fresh DexCool and distilled water. 50/50 mix.
2. After the system flush, make sure you burp the system...get rid of air bubbles.
3. Check the hoses...should be hot and round/not collasped.
4. Make sure the water pump is working. Pull cap and see the coolant movement.
5. Change to a new pressure cap.
6. Make sure your T-stat is working and at the correct temp.
7. Get the front end off the ground and check for debris in or in front of the radiator.

Do the above and get back to us.[/QUOTE

System flush done
Hoses checked
t-stat checked
wp checked
front end checked
I will try a new pressure cap
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
jreece45
6th Gear

Cleaned the radiator, although it did not look that bad, but that fixed the problem

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 overheating

Quick Reply: 2000 overheating