C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 TPMS and aftermarket wheels & sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM
1998Charlie5
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 TPMS and aftermarket wheels & sensors

I have installed aftermarket wheels that will not accept the stock tire pressure sensors. Sensors from the manufacturer "Pilot" will not interface with the computer in the car. It's a '98, any suggestions? Other Brand sensors?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
androulakis
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you trying to get the tpms working as it should or just get rid of the errors. I have a set that may work for you.

If you are just concerned about the errors there is another trick to be had if you have the stock sensors.

What year is your c5?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM
1998Charlie5
7th Gear

it's a '98. The stock sensors have an interference problem with the new wheels. The dealer installed a set of sensors from Pilot (Brand Name) and they aren't being read by the computer in the car. The Pilot sensors are supposed to be the correct transmitting frequency of 315 Mhz. The fault is a repeat message of "service tire pressure monitor system". I can clear it but every time the system tries to read the pressure the message comes back. Also there is no tire pressure reading when the DIC is queried, just blank. It was all working with the stock sensors and wheels. The chrome is blistering and peeling on the stock wheels and that's the reason for the change.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM
1998Charlie5
7th Gear

Sorry, I would like to get the system working as it should.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM
androulakis
Heel & Toe

I have a brand new set of ITM sensors here which we have used before. They work a little differently than the OEM sensors. Instead of using the magnet to initialize them you have to start letting air out of the tires. Once it beeps go on to the next. Don't worry about resetting pressures. You can go back and do that after the sensors are trained.

Give that a try with your existing sensors.

George
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 PM
1998Charlie5
7th Gear

Thanks George, That's the procedure I use on my Silverado and STS. Right now I'm letting the wheel dealer explore his supplier. I will try letting air out tomorrow morning. ITM sensors, I will look them up. How much is the set you have and where are you located? I am in the Tulsa Oklahoma area.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 PM
androulakis
Heel & Toe

See tpms really isn't rocket science but ppl make it out to be.

First is matching frequency. There are two frequencies 315 MHz and 433 MHz. Our vettes use 315mhz as you know.

Now the second part is syncing / training.

There are certain things that wake the TPMS sensors out of "sleep" mode. - where they transmit once per 15 mins as opposed to once every 15 seconds.

Tpms is not generally active (from a sensor transmitting perspective) under 15mph. The tpms sensor has a tilt sensor that realizes the wheel id spinning and wakes it up. This is why when we do euro cars the "reset" procedure is to drive the car for 10 mins above 15 mph, sometimes after putting the system into "learn" mode. - bmw's do this. Mercedes / jags / land rovers just figure it out.

GM takes a different approach.

GM requires that you put the car in "learn" mode / tire training mode on our vettes. AND since the car is not moving - do something to "wake up" the sensor. Our OEM pre 01 sensors used a magnet to wake the sensor up. The more modem sensors - including the aftermarket replacements use the more than 10 psi change method. Like your truck does.

I am almost willing to bet yours will train with the drop tire pressure method. If they don't. Let me know.

Here are a couple pics of the sensors we sell - I own a shop in Hamilton, NJ. I believe my cost on these are 146 a set. I can check for certain tomorrow.

Name:  image-478651659.jpg
Views: 3191
Size:  397.1 KB

Name:  image-3899803323.jpg
Views: 3687
Size:  363.7 KB

Take care,

George
Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 AM
kgie1217
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I found it easier to program the TPMS's out of the wheels prior to installation. Just follow the DIC instructions with a good magnet and you will be golden.

I bought my TPMS's from Dave's Corvette Illumination. He rebuilds the OEM sensors. He states that most aftermarket wheels have thicker walls and sometimes a magnet won't get through to the sensor. So, he recommends programming them out of the car prior to installation.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM
androulakis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by kgie1217
I found it easier to program the TPMS's out of the wheels prior to installation. Just follow the DIC instructions with a good magnet and you will be golden.

I bought my TPMS's from Dave's Corvette Illumination. He rebuilds the OEM sensors. He states that most aftermarket wheels have thicker walls and sometimes a magnet won't get through to the sensor. So, he recommends programming them out of the car prior to installation.
That works great with the OEM sensors. But afaik those are the ONLY ones that use the magnet to initialize. Have you seen the proper schrader TPMS reset magnet? You can kill someone with the thing.

Amazon.com: Schrader 20143 TPMS Magnet: Automotive Amazon.com: Schrader 20143 TPMS Magnet: Automotive

Most if not all of the aftermarket sensors that are out there for GM applications currently rely on the sudden pressure drop method to initialize.

The problem with some aftermarket wheels including the OP's is that the OEM Tpms sensors are huge relative to the more modern ones and dont fit in the wheel.

That's why I asked if he cared about making the system work as desired or just making the warnings go away because there is a different trick to that.

Take care,

George
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 AM
androulakis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What might that "trick" be???
Ur going to laugh.... But.. It works.

First this assumes you have working OEM sensors. It will not work without them.

As mentioned before on this thread, you can program the OEM sensors using a magnet BEFORE they are installed in a wheel.

So you need to do that.

Then here's where the trick come into play.

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTILITY-CART-TIRE-5-8-GREASE-BEARING-SHAFT-4-10-5NNS-/160914040775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25773967c7
Basically any small pneumatic tire, utility cart, wheel barrel etc.

Let the air out, the bead on these breaks easily.

Stuff your newly programmed sensors into it. Then take an air line and seal the bead, then set to your desired pressure.

Throw it in the trunk, and voila all the factory TPMS sensors are reporting back based on the pressure of the little tire in the trunk. You may have to add a bit of air as the external temps drop, but it works

We've done this for various cars that have used aftermarket wheels that haven't been compatible with the sensors.

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 09-17-2014 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frank Tringale (11-04-2019)
Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM
1998Charlie5
7th Gear

That is a brilliant work around, tell everyone it's the spare. I worked most of the day on the seat shims but took a long drive afterward and tried the pressure release. No luck. Haven't heard from my wheel guy today but I will, I haven't paid him yet. This is all good information guys and I really appreciate the help! Sometimes I long for days of setting points with foil from a cigarette pack and pulling a choke **** on a cold morning. Not often but days like this make me wonder!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 TPMS and aftermarket wheels & sensors

Quick Reply: C5 TPMS and aftermarket wheels & sensors