C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
jocitch
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight adjustment

I am trying to adjust the vertical right side headlight. The goldenrod rotates with no resistance however the light position does not move.
Two questions
1 Is there something stripped in the gearing if this is the case
2 Is there another way to adjust the vertical without using the goldenrod

Thanks in advance
Joe
Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

From my experience messing with the adjustments over the years, the two rods are the only way to adjust the lights. The rods tie directly into the sealed gear boxes. There isn't any other access these gears and you can't take the boxes apart.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:01 PM
jocitch
Cruising

Originally Posted by Road Runner
From my experience messing with the adjustments over the years, the two rods are the only way to adjust the lights. The rods tie directly into the sealed gear boxes. There isn't any other access these gears and you can't take the boxes apart.
Thanks for the reply it is not looking good for adjusting the light still playing with the rod pushing it in and out to engage the gearing
Joe
Old 09-18-2014, 03:10 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Make sure to use some PBblaster on the goldenrods because those break very easily. To my knowledge those rods are the only way to adjust the lights. If you can turn the rods easily then there is definitely something not working inside. Either stripped or broken would be my guess.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You can take the rod/gear/bolt adjustment assemblies apart. I took mine all apart, cleaned the dirt and rust off everything and then re-assembled with grease and anti-seize.

The rod has a gear on the end that turns another gear. This gear is also a plastic nut that turns around the adjustment bolt. The end of the adjustment bolt has a **** on it with a couple of flats. This **** engages a bushing on the headlight and the flats keep it from turning. When you turn the adjuster the plastic gear/nut turns around the bolt and pushes it in or out which moves the headlight.

I expect you'll find the bushing that holds against the flats on the bolt is worn and allowing the adjustment bolt to turn so the adjuster nut never threads up or down it.

Finding pictures of the insides of the adjusters proves rather difficult. Try a Google search for "DIY - Headlight Vertical Adjustment Rod Repair".
Old 10-15-2014, 11:36 AM
jocitch
Cruising

I stopped working on the light for a while started again yesterday and found lionelhuts explains pretty much what happen except the ball at the end of the plastic screw was pulled out of the socket so rotating the golden rod rotated the plastic screw but was not attached to the light. I could snap it back in by pushing on the light and then make the adjustment with no problem however every time I raised lowered the light and the raised it it disengaged again and the returned to misalignment . Tried a couple of thing even supper gluing it in place but still disengaged. The last thing I did was simply put a little side load on the headlight by pushing because it looked like it was not closing smoothly that seam to help some it does not disengage all the way now.but still working on it
Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

You can take the up down adjusters out and press them in a vice and socket either way.
Even if it seems to break some on the seal it will still work.
You may have to do this a few times and possibly add washers on the back with some spray glue to make a fine down adjustment.
If you want to adjust the right/left and it's not working you can use washers at where the headlight bolts to the assembly.
A bit of a pain but it works.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I have seen those little sockets that hold the adjuster bolt for sale new, I just can't recall where. It's been a while since I had my headlights apart but I believe with the new piece you have to open it up and put it over the end of the adjuster bolt and then snap it into the hole on the headlight bracket. Otherwise, pushing the adjuster bolt in after the bushing is in the hole will open up the bushing and it'll be loose on the adjuster bolt.

Here's a used part,

http://www.vettenuts.net/index.php?l...t_detail&p=985
Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I have seen those little sockets that hold the adjuster bolt for sale new, I just can't recall where. It's been a while since I had my headlights apart but I believe with the new piece you have to open it up and put it over the end of the adjuster bolt and then snap it into the hole on the headlight bracket. Otherwise, pushing the adjuster bolt in after the bushing is in the hole will open up the bushing and it'll be loose on the adjuster bolt.

Here's a used part,

http://www.vettenuts.net/index.php?l...t_detail&p=985
You can get those at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight adjustment

Quick Reply: Headlight adjustment