C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help diagnose hanging idle issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:09 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Please help diagnose hanging idle issue.

I have been trouble shooting a hanging idle issue. My car's idle hangs at 2000 rpm when in neutral while coming to a stop. Idle only drops to ~950 after my car comes to a complete stop. My car also likes to cruise at 69 mph on the freeway without me pressing the gas pedal.

So, I have been investigating intake leaks after the MAF. I sprayed carb cleaner just under the TB while the car is idling and found a leak. When I took the TB off for cleaning, i found that the TB does not close all the way. I have to push it with my finger to get it close 100%. Is this normal?

I also purchased HP Tuners Pro and while scanning the car at idle the Throttle position is reading 19.xx%
Old 09-20-2014, 05:09 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jpandes
I have been trouble shooting a hanging idle issue. My car's idle hangs at 2000 rpm when in neutral while coming to a stop. Idle only drops to ~950 after my car comes to a complete stop. My car also likes to cruise at 69 mph on the freeway without me pressing the gas pedal.

So, I have been investigating intake leaks after the MAF. I sprayed carb cleaner just under the TB while the car is idling and found a leak. When I took the TB off for cleaning, i found that the TB does not close all the way. I have to push it with my finger to get it close 100%. Is this normal?

I also purchased HP Tuners Pro and while scanning the car at idle the Throttle position is reading 19.xx%
The TB blade slightly open is normal. Sorry, no help on your other problem.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:44 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks BigGun
Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM
c31980
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first thing all is your car a stock ?
did u adjust the idle by hp tuner ..normal idle is around 850-950 or so
as for tb it shuld fit to intake easly are u sure its a corvette tb ?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:53 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If the throttle closed completely, the engine would not run. 19% tp voltage at idle is way too high. If it's running the stock tune, you should have a cel and a related code/s stored. Is the engine and tune stock?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at your sig; I have to assume the PCM has been tuned. The tune could very well be the problem. Mine also hangs on occasion at 1500rpm until I reach a complete stop then drops to 950. This is intentional by my tuner to help offset the hunting idle I had due to my lightweight clutch/flywheel setup and large cam combination in my engine.
Yours was probably set up the same way but 2000 rpm is a bit high.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help diagnose hanging idle issue.

Quick Reply: Please help diagnose hanging idle issue.