C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Thread About Headers - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 AM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another Thread About Headers - Recommendations?

So for my particular exhaust setup, I would like a few opinions on what you guys think about what kind of headers would go best with my system.

At this point I have Borla Stingers (part #140017) and the Borla X-pipe (part #60087). Everything else is stock.

I'm pretty sure there are some of you with this setup or have had it before and also have/had headers with it.

I've been thinking about a set of headers but I am not looking to spend a fortune, I would like something that will yield good results but not cost a fortune. I know that is usually not possible with most things but lets hear some opinions.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM
AWSOME 04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers

In my humble opinion, headers are the best "Bang for your Buck" that you will spend. I have American Racing Headers 1 3/4 " the X pipe. Headers and a tune will really wake up your vette. I've read that Kooks and LG are also very good exhaust systems. It's not cheap but worth every penny! Good Luck.
At this point I have Borla Stingers (part #14ut 0017) and the Borla X-pipe (part #60087). Everything else is stock.

I'm pretty sure there are some of you with this setup or have had it before and also have/had headers with it.

I've been thinking about a set of headers but I am not looking to spend a fortune, I would like something that will yield good results but not cost a fortune. I know that is usually not possible with most things but lets hear some opinions.

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have American Racing Headers.

Quality product made in the USA.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 AM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Another vote for ARH
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM
tgucc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was exactly where you are, stingers and cross pipe. In fact, they're up for sale.
I installed the LG Pros and did a mail tune through ECS. Huge difference. I eventually had to replace the stingers. They got real loud after the LG install.
I'm now running the LG Pros into Corsa Sport. Nice set up.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

XSPower or KOOKs
I have Kooks, my wife has XS. Both are great headers for a reasonable price.
To this day, I am still amazed that people pay double the cost for a set of headers, but run them through restrictive (read; street) exhaust. I can bet you that you will not be able to tell the difference in performance in a $780 set and a $1380 set. But if you take the money you save and buy another mod (CAI, cam, etc) you will be able to.
My .02
Old 09-23-2014, 03:30 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I went with Kooks. If price wasn't a factor I probably would have went with ARH. I felt Kooks were a very good value.... top notch quality, very good price thru some of the vendors on here. My issues with XS or whatever knockoff brand stuff is quality control is weak and you really don't know what you're going to get. If you read around there are people who had 0 issues, others with minor stuff, and plenty of people with big issues... not worth the hassle/headache to me.

Another point worth touching on.... if you search around for Kooks you will find many install nightmare threads. They redesigned the headers in 2012 or 2013 and I can confirm that they now slide into place with virtually no effort.... the only thing 'extra' I had to unbolt was a single ground strap wire. Getting the stock stuff out was a much bigger hassle. I have 1 7/8" headers btw too.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

American Racing..... real steel.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I've installed LG and ARH. ARH are easier to install and the x-pipe is easier to remove if you need to later.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

They are not cheap, but I have had my LG Pro headers on my car since 2005. They are great quality. If I remember right I made a 30 rwhp jump from the header install and a tune. If I remember right Borla makes these headers for LG.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The current batch of XSPower headers have some fitment issues. If you decide to go with them, you might want to get a used set or wait for the next batch, where they claim they will fix all the problems.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the Stingers as one of my first mods on my C5, they had a great sound.

We can answer any questions you may have about the C5 ARH systems, you will be glad you chose ARH, we guarantee it.

We can also set you up with some great LS shops in Kentucky.

PM sent
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

1 7/8 LG Super Pro Headers here. Love em and i got a great deal on them on the here on the forum.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
littleed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got xs power headers horse power addicts had to heat the driver side on and put a dent in it to clear the steering rack. But I will say I'm happy with them so far. With b n b bullets and a can the car sounds awesome.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:31 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally have Pfadt 1 7/8" Tri-Y on mine, no cats, and a Corsa Extreme.

Now that the Pfadts are non existent, I'd go with ARH hands down. Hell, if I knew the issues I would have had just installing the Pfadts, I would have went with ARH.

I traded a few emails with Nick there and as the him being the owner, it meant a lot he replied himself, and very quickly at that.

My wife's Escalade WILL be getting a set of ARH's for either our anniversary or Christmas. Should sound great with her Corsa Sport.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Thread About Headers - Recommendations?

Quick Reply: Another Thread About Headers - Recommendations?