C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dmh low profile cutout installment spot

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Racinjace22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dmh low profile cutout installment spot

Yes i bought the DMH Low Profile Erectric Cut Outs for my 02 Z06. Ive had em on everything i owend and love them. But on my Z im not sure where to mount them. Im cutting out my cats and was going to put them in the straight pipe that im replacing the cats with. Everybody mounts them right before the muffler. i just dont know if my idea is such a good one bc of one the fumes getting in the car and two if it wouldnt sound good being so close to the ground and pointed ground direction. Has anyone put them on their Z? If so where did you put them at? and how does it sound?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Right under the transmission is where I have had mine. It is hard for any other spot due to low ground clearance. Here is a link to another forum with pictures. My install is similar.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...11674133090662

And another post with some pictures of a similar install.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1268746
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Racinjace22
Intermediate

thanks man. How do you like em? Sounds good?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Racinjace22
thanks man. How do you like em? Sounds good?
They are great. They have a 4 year warranty. So far they have held up great. I had to send one for repair about 2 years ago, right as the warranty came up. Dave sent me two new ones as replacement.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Racinjace22
Intermediate

thanks man. yeah he's a good guy dmh is the only electric cut outs i ever owed & just like you said he does stand behind his warranty. If you dont mind me askin how much did the muffler shop charge you for installment?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Racinjace22
thanks man. yeah he's a good guy dmh is the only electric cut outs i ever owed & just like you said he does stand behind his warranty. If you dont mind me askin how much did the muffler shop charge you for installment?
I did it my self and a friend did my welding for free.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was too cheap to opt for electric. I just put 3" dump pipes off my LT headers. It's a very tight fit. Especially on automatics! The A4 is much bigger than the M6. Those are really the only two places to mount them. On the M6 by the transmission works great. Just angle the electric motor up next the the Trans on both sides. No room in the A4 though. Probably just in front of the muffler on an A4 if doing the electric setup.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Racinjace22
Intermediate

thats a fine price @sigforty haha thanks tho
and @nukec5 thanks for the info
Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 PM
olyeller70
2nd Gear

Default Issues

I have had issues with loose motors on these since I installed them a couple years ago. In March I was finally able to get them exchanged, still had a rattle weeks later, finally in July I reached Dave at DMH and he told me he knew there was an issue with the motor mounting and would send me a fix within two weeks. To this day I do nto have my replacements, have not been able to reach him by phone, leave a voice mail (vm full), or get a response to an e-mail. I still have rattling under my 2006 vette. I'm not happy!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

with the low profile oval ones, the trans is the easiest place to put them... but then you're just opening a hole on the side of the pipe.
i have my round ones right behind the diff in line with the exhaust flow so it runs mostly through them when they're open. it also points out the back underneath the fascia so it ain't very rumbly inside the cabin, unlike the beside-the-trans position where it just bounces off the ground back up underneath your seats
Old 09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
with the low profile oval ones, the trans is the easiest place to put them... but then you're just opening a hole on the side of the pipe.
i have my round ones right behind the diff in line with the exhaust flow so it runs mostly through them when they're open. it also points out the back underneath the fascia so it ain't very rumbly inside the cabin, unlike the beside-the-trans position where it just bounces off the ground back up underneath your seats
I installed my low-profile cut outs on the 90° bend just before the mufflers. This way when I open the cut outs all the exhaust comes straight out through the cut outs and very little go through the mufflers. They are also facing out the back of the car so I have no drone bouncing off under the car and into the cabin. If I had it do it again I would put it in the same location.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

I will add one more thing about cutout location. With a lot of people the reason you see the transmission spot used is because that is also where the restriction starts. By placing the cutouts before the pipes going over the axle to the muffler you put them where they can release pressure. Unless you have the LG Big 3 exhaust, all c5 muffler systems restrict down to 2.5" pipe over the axle. A lot of aftermarket header systems with x-pipes are 3" diameter until right around the transmission.

Get notified of new replies

To Dmh low profile cutout installment spot

Quick Reply: Dmh low profile cutout installment spot