C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Additive

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:51 AM
estefumby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Additive

I have a 2000 Coupe and saw an ad for a product called Water Wetter has anyone used it and if so what are your thoughts about it ?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Unless your running in extreme heat or a road course. You shouldn't need it. That said, I've heard it does work. If your car is running hotter than normal, you should correct the problem first.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by estefumby
I have a 2000 Coupe and saw an ad for a product called Water Wetter has anyone used it and if so what are your thoughts about it ?
Marty gave you good advice....address the problem.
Do a system flush and replace with Dex and distilled water
Burp the system
Check the hoses
Buy a new pressure cap
Check for a stuck t-stat
Check to make sure the WP is working
Make sure the space between the radiator and the A/C is clean
Start with the above and get back to us.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I used the stuff before and it works, don't recall the brand, the product was red.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:53 PM
RCFC5
Intermediate

Red- Line makes Water Wetter, Supposed to lower temps maybe 8 degrees, I have used on forced induction cars and it helped I think, But pretty hard to tell unless you have an accurate gauge and before and after testing
Old 10-04-2014, 04:19 AM
Biz346
4th Gear

Dexcool is garbage. Regular green and distilled water.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Biz346
Dexcool is garbage. Regular green and distilled water.
Problem is, if you want to run regular, green coolant in a car that has had Dex-Cool in it previously, unless you get 1000% of the Dex-Cool out FIRST, you'll have a HUGE mess in your cooling system. Those two products DO NOT mix..........

And there's nothing really wrong with Dex-Cool, as long as you maintain the fluid level in the radiator/expansion tank, and you DO change it every 5-6 years.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Problem is, if you want to run regular, green coolant in a car that has had Dex-Cool in it previously, unless you get 1000% of the Dex-Cool out FIRST, you'll have a HUGE mess in your cooling system. Those two products DO NOT mix..........

And there's nothing really wrong with Dex-Cool, as long as you maintain the fluid level in the radiator/expansion tank, and you DO change it every 5-6 years.
Dexcool was first installed in Corvettes back in '95 and it does work very well for those who want to use something like a 50K-mile or 5-year coolant change interval. There's no real reason to use a green ethlyene-glycol coolant in later GM cars. Especially if you don't do a near surgical cleaning out of the Dexcool first.

As far as using Water-Wetter, it will lower coolant temps a small amount but if a cooling system is in good condition, there's no real need to use it. I have heard that it helps with coolant flow but it has a fairly short life, maybe 6 months to a year.

I use it in my '87 autocross/track day car but only because I don't use a full 50-50 mix of anti-freeze in the summer; it's usually 5% or so. A boil-over or sudden coolant loss on a road course makes as mess as anti-freeze won't evaporate like plain water will. And anti-freeze is slippery and can remain on a track surface for extended periods if it's not cleaned up.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Additive

Quick Reply: Coolant Additive