C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 12:06 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel

Currently putting in a stronger clutch/lighter flywheel with upgraded hydraulics to cure the lazy pedal syndrome. The problem is that the original GM flywheel has a small balance pin weight added, near the rim. It is embedded in one of a series of holes drilled in the flywheel.

Do I have to put this weight on the aftermarket flywheel? Is it to balance the original flywheel/clutch, or the engine? My Spec star clutch assembly is balanced.

Has anybody with an aftermarket clutch seen this? What did you do? :confused:
Old 07-31-2002, 12:19 AM
BLUTHUNDER
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel (6Speeder)

6Speeder ,
when i had my new clutch and flywheel installed..I requested that my tuner balance my flywheel and clutch assembly.
Cost was an additional $60.00 , but i feel its money well spent.

I have no chatter or vibration.

Gd Lk

Jeff
Old 07-31-2002, 12:19 AM
TAMUz28
Instructor

I took my flywheel and pressure plate to a local machine shop. He balanced the whole assembly for 75 bucks....
Old 07-31-2002, 12:24 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Re: Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel (TAMUz28)

I took my flywheel and pressure plate to a local machine shop. He balanced the whole assembly for 75 bucks....
Sorry, probably should have added that the assembly came from spec balanced. So my question remains: was the original balance pin to balance the GM flywheel/clutch or the engine?
Old 07-31-2002, 01:55 AM
Paradigm
Burning Brakes

The pin is there to balance the engine. Unfortunately mine was discarded at the install of a new clutch/flywheel and since I have an annoying vibration between 2400-2550 RPM. Match the new combo to the old and you won't have to worry.

BTW, if you ever pull the harmonic balancer it's the same story only a little worse because there is no crank key to locate the harmonic radially - beware - mark that sucker.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:16 PM
Steve Row
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel (Paradigm)

This is VERY IMPORTANT. The weight is there to balance the engine. GM clutch assemblies are sold as "balanced assemblies". This is the reason you get the flywheel along with the disc and pressure plate.

If your new clutch is balanced, you have the first step taken care of.

The next step is to position the weight in the exact same spot on the new flywheel relative to it's position on the old flywheel and the flywheel's position to the crankshaft. There is an "extra" hole in the Crank and an "extra" hole in the flywheel. These do not necessarily line up, they might, but they might not.

Having had the miserable experience of an unbalanced engine after a clutch install, I hope you can still figure out where to put the weight.

If there is no place in the new flywheel to put the weight, you can have the clutch unbalanced by a machine shop to match the original setup.

If all else fails, you can experiment with adding a washer to a pressure plate bolt. I did this to mine and was able to reduce the vibration by about half.

BTW, some cars have no weights at all, and, therefore, none of this is an issue to them.

Ditto on the harmonic balancer.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel

Quick Reply: Balancing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel