C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DextronIII vs Dextron VI

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 PM
C5 Pashion
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DextronIII vs Dextron VI

I've had conflicting answers on whether or not Dextron VI is suitable for the 99 C5 standard transmission. Can anyone advise
Thank you
Old 10-03-2014, 12:27 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by C5 Pashion
I've had conflicting answers on whether or not Dextron VI is suitable for the 99 C5 standard transmission. Can anyone advise
Thank you
Do not use "VI" in your '99. Use Dexron III rated fluid or the GM recommended replacement which is a "synchromesh" fluid (GM part number 88861800) only. I prefer and would recommend the Dexron III rated Amsoil Torque Drive.

Btw, it's "Dexron".
Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 AM
dan1546
Racer

I've had good luck with the mobile1 synthetic ATF but any of the quality (redline, amsoil, etc.) fluids will work well. Like stated above Dexron III is what you need.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's the official word on it..

Originally Posted by GM #04-07-30-037D
MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS / TRANSFER CASES and POWER STEERING

The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases. Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON®-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. Power Steering Systems should now use P/N 9985010 labeled Power Steering Fluid.

Consult the Owner's Manual or Service Information (SI) for fluid recommendations.

Some of our customers and/or General Motors dealerships/Saturn Retailers may have some concerns with DEXRON®-VI and DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and transmission warranty claims. DEXRON®-VI is the only approved fluid for warranty repairs for General Motors transmissions/transaxles requiring DEXRON®-III and/or prior DEXRON® transmission fluids. Please remember that the clean oil reservoirs of the J 45096 - Flushing and Flow Tester machine should be purged of DEXRON®-III and filled with DEXRON®-VI for testing, flushing or filling General Motors transmissions/transaxles.

DEXRON®-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission/transaxle in place of DEXRON®-III (i.e. topping off the fluid in the event of a repair or fluid change). DEXRON®-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRON® for use in automatic transmissions/transaxles.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dex VI is not compatible with Corvette manual transmissions.
* GM Manuel transmission fluid (listed above)
* Dex III from the parts store (I am running Valvoline DexIII) (amsoil and mobile are Synthetic, off the shelf Dex III at the parts store may not be)

S
Old 10-03-2014, 06:02 PM
C5 Pashion
8th Gear

Default Dexron VI

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
Dex VI is not compatible with Corvette manual transmissions.
* GM Manuel transmission fluid (listed above)
* Dex III from the parts store (I am running Valvoline DexIII) (amsoil and mobile are Synthetic, off the shelf Dex III at the parts store may not be)

S
Thanks for the response. I contacted a Chevy service dept today in my area. I'm told Dexron VI is what I need. I will look into it further.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the short answer from the quoted service bulletin; is that Dexron VI is "OK" for automatic transmissions but not "OK" for manual transmissions?

Does that make sense?

Dannyman
Old 10-03-2014, 08:01 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dannyman
So, the short answer from the quoted service bulletin; is that Dexron VI is "OK" for automatic transmissions but not "OK" for manual transmissions?

Does that make sense?

Dannyman
Yes. It does.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running the Dexron IV in my 99 FRC now for over a year with no problem, fact is the car shifted better when I went to the new fluid. I was advised by a retired Corvette GM engineer (here on the forum) that the Dexron IV was fine to use.
You might want to read this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-vs-dexvi.html
Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Thanks for the response. I contacted a Chevy service dept today in my area. I'm told Dexron VI is what I need. I will look into it further.

Thanks
Really??

Have a nice day........

Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 PM
C5 Pashion
8th Gear

Default trans fluid

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Really??

Have a nice day........

I just looked at GM bulletin #1838912
it implies its ok. Don't know why it has to be so confusing
Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Thanks
"Implies" WHAT is OK?

It's not confusing at all. It relates to where if synchromesh (88861800) is not available, it says use DexIII, but do NOT use DexVI in the specified transmissions.

Now you're entertaining a dealer's, contradiction of the very document GM published which, by the way was published at the time, primarily regarding certain Cadillac, Hummer and Saturn models with manual transmissions?

Your car, your call. Good luck.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 10-04-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Yes. It does.

Dannyman
Old 10-04-2014, 08:11 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyman

Does that make sense?

Dannyman

There have been multiple discussions of manual transmission fluid usage, here on the Forum. The differences hinge on the earlier transmissions having "paper blocking rings" that are not compatible with synthetic transmission fluid, which Dexron VI is......

(Dexron III is not synthetic)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
There have been multiple discussions of manual transmission fluid usage, here on the Forum. The differences hinge on the earlier transmissions having "paper blocking rings" that are not compatible with synthetic transmission fluid, which Dexron VI is......

(Dexron III is not synthetic)
I totally agree.

My previous post was not clear enough to re-state what has been said throughout this thread.

Thanks
It is not "OK" to use Dexron VI in your transmission.

Thank you
This being the OPs' original question.

The answer provided in this thread; and supported by the GM Bulletin, is that Dexron VI should not be used in a standard/manual transmission. It goes on to state that Dexron VI can be used in the automatic transmission.

Is it possible that when stating in his original question, "99 C5 standard transmission"; he was referring to his standard transmission being in fact an automatic?

Dannyman
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you
If by standard, you mean manual, then as indicated above (and not your dealer) you should NOT use dexron VI, rather an aftermarket dexron III or the GM Synchromesh 88861800.

If you have an automatic, then the newer dexron VI would be suitable, but I personally would still use an aftermarket dexron III as the dexron VI has a lower viscosity then the dexron III and I'm personally not impressed with the basestock performance in dexron VI. Like many fluids, the dexron VI was introduced to lower viscosity, lower friction and improve GM's net CAFE (fuel mileage rating).

For what its worth, I use this in my manual:
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G)

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 PM
C5 Pashion
8th Gear

Hi folks. I do have manual. I've been to 4 GM Chev Olds dealerships in my area. Three say Dexron VI and one said GM Manual transmission fluid . I've contacted GM directly and got no response.
Thanks for the bulletin

Get notified of new replies

To DextronIII vs Dextron VI

Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Three say Dexron VI ...
Which is why I try to avoid most dealerships.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Anyone have any idea why this bulletin says it does NOT apply to manual transmissions?

"Originally Posted by GM #04-07-30-037D

The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases."

Also, I would like to understand the "paper blocking rings" statement. Any paper based product would last about 5 seconds in a gearbox. Blocking rings take a beating, and years ago sintered iron was commonly used.

My '98 C5 has had Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the 'box almost from new and at 75k everything works fine. Only "issue", if it called be called that is the shift is in fact a bit smoother and easier when the 'box is still cold. I may try dino oil next time. Wish it would shift like our Subaru which runs 75/90 in the front transaxle. I use Delvac, and the shifts are buttery.

Mine is an early enough C5 (delivered 9/97) to have an actual Borg Warner built box. Any difference there I wonder? Though everything I have read says Tremec made the boxes exactly the same as the originals.

Last edited by jackthelad; 10-31-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Anyone have any idea why this bulletin says it does NOT apply to manual transmissions?

"Originally Posted by GM #04-07-30-037D

The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases."
The rest of the bulletin was removed, it goes over the use of Dexron III being superseded by Dexron VI.

Quick Reply: DextronIII vs Dextron VI