C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 AM
KHD
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent rough idle

HI, new to the forum, first post and 1st vette. I just bought a 1999 LS1 6spd w/83000mi. My concern is an intermittent rough idle, it idles smooth for about 5-10 seconds, then shakes for a couple of seconds, then smooths out again then repeats again. The car pulls hard no skips or anything. There are no codes in the computer. I see no broken vacuum lines. Any info or advice would be appreciated
Old 10-04-2014, 04:51 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KHD
HI, new to the forum, first post and 1st vette. I just bought a 1999 LS1 6spd w/83000mi. My concern is an intermittent rough idle, it idles smooth for about 5-10 seconds, then shakes for a couple of seconds, then smooths out again then repeats again. The car pulls hard no skips or anything. There are no codes in the computer. I see no broken vacuum lines. Any info or advice would be appreciated
Just had a similar problem with my 99 with 90k miles. Get some spray carb cleaner and clean the throttle body in front of and behind the butterfly blade. Mine was not too dirty in front but filthy behind.
Makes a big difference.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:16 PM
KHD
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by flynhi
Just had a similar problem with my 99 with 90k miles. Get some spray carb cleaner and clean the throttle body in front of and behind the butterfly blade. Mine was not too dirty in front but filthy behind.
Makes a big difference.
THANKS for the input, will do tomorrow. GREAT forum, plenty of info.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 PM
choyt
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

PM sent
Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Be sure to check at the pcv valve. They are known to develop a hole in the bottom of the tube that is hard to see.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:39 AM
KHD
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BigGun
Be sure to check at the pcv valve. They are known to develop a hole in the bottom of the tube that is hard to see.
THANKS, will do
Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Porxter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGun
Good advice there! My technician, while test-running my C5 after changing out my water pump and all cooling system hoses, heard a vacuum leak. He found that rubber elbow at the PCV valve to have a hole in it. When he called me to authorize new parts, he said that elbow wasn't available by itself, but came as part of a PCV assembly with all new hoses, tubes and plastic braces.

He said it was a good thing it came that way, because as he replaced the elbow, the next piece broke, as he replaced that section the next section broke, etc, etc. The whole thing was so brittle it was falling apart as he removed it.

Mine was not idling rough, but would drop to 400-500 when I came to a stop, then the computer would bring it back up to 600-700. He said he was surprised it wasn't throwing lean codes and I said it had just started to, occasionally. I knew my Long Term Fuel Trims were WAY up, too. After replacing the PCV and tubing assy, now my Long Term and Short Term Fuel Trims are back near zero.

It's amazing how the computers can compensate for / mask a problem. I just passed California emmisions several months ago, with a vacuum leak big enough to force the LT Fuel trims to max out. By the way, this is a 203,000 mile LS1.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To intermittent rough idle

Quick Reply: intermittent rough idle