C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny brace and Pfadt diff mount clearancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I think Pfadt made a mistake by mounting their diff brace metal to metal. I was uncomfortable doing this, so I just improvised. I think the diff brace has some effect on handling, too. I'm not a racer, but there's a different feel to the car, powering out of turns, that is more stable. I vaguely remember adjusting, or reversing one of the rods on my trans brace to create more clearance. I looked and found my original instructions, but they're identical to the link posted.
If you think about the brace as a linkage, though, there really is no contiguous metal-to-metal contact that starts at the diff and ends at the crossmember. The brace does attach to the diff with two screws and there are metal sleeves inside the center bushings but, look at the pic below and you'll notice the orange torque arm is isolated from the Pfadt crossmember mount and the crossmember by the center bushings and the rubber feet. Essentially, the torque member is an extenson of the diff bit does not directly touch the crossmember.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:34 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
Would you happen to have any extra shims? I think I might need two.
My local hardware store has shims that are very similar to the ones Pfadt includes. Almost exact in fact. I plan to grab some next time I'm there just so I have them on hand when I install my mount.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:41 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
My local hardware store has shims that are very similar to the ones Pfadt includes. Almost exact in fact. I plan to grab some next time I'm there just so I have them on hand when I install my mount.

Those?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:40 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you happen to have any extra shims? I think I might need two.
What does the hardware store call these shims? Are they rubber or poly and how'd you get them to stay under the end bushings besides just pressure since I'm assuming you drilled holes through them in the middle mount so they don't move there
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak87
What does the hardware store call these shims? Are they rubber or poly and how'd you get them to stay under the end bushings besides just pressure since I'm assuming you drilled holes through them in the middle mount so they don't move there
The shims are metal and they are installed between the orange torsion member and the end bushings to give them a longer overall height.

Patches did something completely different, and I'm not sure how he got them to stick.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Adhesive between the shoes and shims.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Those?
Yes. They were very similar and would work the same. I will head over there this week and get the info. Post some pics next to what Pfadt provides.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Is that harmonic weight on the diff always in contact with the rubber pad? If so, you are loosing the effectiveness of the harmonic weight since you are changing its properties by touching something else.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Barely touching but it's comming off anyway as recommended in the instructions.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patches
Adhesive between the shoes and shims.
What did you put under yours patches? And did you also put something under the metal Poly mount in the middle?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Barely touching but it's comming off anyway as recommended in the instructions.
Ok good stuff
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

If you think about the brace as a linkage, though, there really is no contiguous metal-to-metal contact that starts at the diff and ends at the crossmember. The brace does attach to the diff with two screws and there are metal sleeves inside the center bushings but, look at the pic below and you'll notice the orange torque arm is isolated from the Pfadt crossmember mount and the crossmember by the center bushings and the rubber feet. Essentially, the torque member is an extenson of the diff bit does not directly touch the crossmember.

I see what you're saying; you may be right. I saw it as a point of potential flexing under loads, and the steel-on-aluminum bothered me.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:01 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

I'm assuming that because the outward pads, on the ends of the Pfadt mount, are always firmly pressed to the crossmember. With those firmly against the crossmember in such a wide position relative to the diff, seems like that would prevent the diff from ever vibrating, shaking, or whatever it does that the external OEM damper/weight would help prevent. Maybe that is why Pfadt suggests removing it during the install.
Could also be one of the reasons the instructions say to make sure the outer pads are in firm contact with the crossmember. Pretty much locks the rear of the drivetrain down to the crossmember, while still being isolated from it by the poly pads/bushings. Look at the C6, it has 2 outward mounted mounts rather than the single C5 center mount. The single center mount in rubber.... damn near just a pivot point for the back of the drivetrain!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak87
What did you put under yours patches? And did you also put something under the metal Poly mount in the middle?
High-durometer EPDM sheet about 1/8"thick. Nothing under the center mount as there is already a poly bushing in the center of the pivot. The poly bushings are relatively soft so I didn't want to add another degree of flex with a soft pad under the center mount.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

High-durometer EPDM sheet about 1/8"thick. Nothing under the center mount as there is already a poly bushing in the center of the pivot. The poly bushings are relatively soft so I didn't want to add another degree of flex with a soft pad under the center mount.
I'll have to look for this stuff when I go to order and install mine this winter
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zeevette
In my installation directions, it was clearly stated that you remove the dampener when using the Pfadt mount. I didn't have any clearence problems, and I have the ECS brace, also. You really keep a clean car, Patches.
I removed the dampener because I read that also!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:33 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HPE-DTE
Our diff mount clears the same as the Pfadt mount. We have no clearance issues. We have plenty in stock.

Thanks for your input and good luck on your search.
Placing my order tomorrow.
Thanks,
Rob.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny brace and Pfadt diff mount clearancing

Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 AM
0HoosierPE
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob@ChampionMotors
Placing my order tomorrow.
Thanks,
Rob.
That is great Rob - THANKS for the support!

Cheers,
Jason
HPE-DTE
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Patches helped me find a used PFADT Brace in the C5 Wanted/For Sale Parts Section. Thanks again!

The Brace came in like NEW condition with all the parts.

I tried to access that install instruction sheet from work and it wont open.

IRON MAIDEN

I was apprehensive about drive train removal when I replaced my clutch.

I did the job myself and had to devise a method/plan that made that as easy as possible.

Heres what I did-

Remove the intake manifold! I have a FAST 90 so clearance to the fire wall is LESS than OEM. You can damage the intake if you drop the drive train/ fire wall too far

Raise the car. I used 4 BIG jack stands.

Support the TT with a small jack.

Remove the rear cradle. Pop the CV joints from the differential.

Lower/tilt the drive train to the recommended MAX angle to gain access to the harnesses and bolts.

Remove the Differential & Transmission from the Torque Tube.

Remove the TT.

I had to remove the bell housing to do all the work to install my SPEC Twin clutch. I'm lucky that I did. My bell housing was cracked.

NOTE!! Installing the Torque Tube as a separate assembly back into the bell housing and clutch is a BREEZE! It also lessens the possibility that you will damage the clutch disk (allowing the weight of the Trans/diff/ TT to hang on the disk and bend the Hub)

Install the trans/diff on the TT.

I did this ALL myself on jack stands and didn't have ANY issues.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill
Old 11-26-2014, 12:33 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the advice Bill. Curious if I need to remove the intake though. Would rather not if I don't have to. It's already coming off shortly after when I do the heads/cam/headers/ and all the other motor goodies. I have the LS6 intake I custom painted last year itching to be installed!!!
My plan was about the same as you did. Although, now I'm brainstorming again. I just bought a Kwik-Lift from forum member Kale. I'm picking it up this weekend.
Until I get the lift and figure out my plan, not sure yet. But it seems that I can use the centerbridge and lift the back end off the ramps. Hoping I can have the jack stands in the rear frame locations on the ramps. Then the rear cradle and everything can come out. But until I get the new lift, won't know it it's possible or not. I still need to pick up a trans jack and a nice creeper too!!!

Quick Reply: Tranny brace and Pfadt diff mount clearancing