C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring on clutch pedal broke

Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spring on clutch pedal broke

I just bought my c5 today. About a mile from the guys place I was pushing the clutch in to go to neutral when coming to a stop. Everything was fine. I went to push the clutch back in to go to first and I heard something go "BOING" Had no side to side play. But I amanaged to get it into first and drive it 45 minutes home. Found out this broke off:

Another angle

Still attached to the left as you can see.

I can still get into gear fine, what exactly is this spring and what does it do? Also how much is the part?

Kind of bummed. Buying my first GM product and it broke something already
Old 10-08-2014, 06:06 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

It makes it easier to push in the clutch and pushes the pedal all the way back to press the rest switch.
The car may throw a code re clutch pedal circuit malfunction if the switch is not used for a period of time.
It's not a big deal to drive the car in fact for a Ticks master that spring is removed per the installation.
I would replace it.
It's not hard to do with some needle nose vice grips.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

Nice, thank you. So I can just get that part? Going to go to the stealership after work for part number. If its cheap enough I will buy from them. Someone said it helps pull the clutch back when you let up on it with your foot?

So the car still can be driveable if it broke off completely?
Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes. If you like the feel better you don't have to replace.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:09 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

Interesting. Well when I went to the previous owners house AFTER I had already paid for the car. He mentioned that the clutch pedal would go to the floor and not go up. That spring was probably the culprit. I haven't had that happen to me at all.

Oh FYI. Its called the clutch return spring and only cost right under $10 at the dealership. They will get it in on Friday.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to look into flushing the fluid too. If the clutch was sticking to the floor before the spring broke, that's more likely a clutch hydraulic system that's in need of attention. Look at the color of the fluid in the clutch master cylinder. Should be clear/amber. If it's black, try the "ranger method" to flush as much of the debris from the system as possible without the expense of a proper bleeding at the slave cylinder.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

Right on. I have the Motive Fluid Extractor on the way. Why is that an issue with these cars at such low mileage with the fluid getting dirty?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:56 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Interesting. Well when I went to the previous owners house AFTER I had already paid for the car. He mentioned that the clutch pedal would go to the floor and not go up. That spring was probably the culprit.
highly doubtful that the spring causes it to stick to the floor... you can try a full fluid flush but I'd be willing to bet that still won't totally cure it... most c5 6 speed cars are notorious for this problem during wot shifts and in my personal experience the only way to totally fix it is to put in an aftermarket clutch
Old 10-09-2014, 03:42 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Mine broke about 30,000 miles ago......no problems...you do not have to replace it.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:26 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Interesting. Well when I went to the previous owners house AFTER I had already paid for the car. He mentioned that the clutch pedal would go to the floor and not go up.
The clutch pedal to the floor problem is not an issue if you drive the car easy. Clean and flush is a great idea, regardless.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Right on. I checked the fluid and it was clear and full. Getting the spring anyways tomorrow since I already paid for it. Offtopic, but I have already started taking some distasteful mods out of the interior and exterior. Want it to look stock as possible for now.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Paris Hilton's Dog
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the "Clutch Over Center Spring".
It ensures that the compensation port in the clutch master cylinder stays uncovered while the clutch is engaged, which is important for good operation of the clutch release system.

Last edited by Paris Hilton's Dog; 10-09-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Here's GM's take:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
It appears that some Corvette owners are removing or disconnecting the clutch over center spring on their vehicles.

This is not a recommended practice and customers should be advised of the implications of such an action.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The clutch master cylinder has a compensation port that is positioned within 1 MM of the top of the stroke. The compensation port allows internal pressure in the clutch hydraulic system to be exhausted into the master cylinder and also provides for system refill as the clutch disc wears.

One purpose of the over center spring is to return the clutch pedal to the very top of the stroke to expose the compensation port. The second purpose of the spring is to provide for the designed clutch pedal feel.

Removing or disconnecting the spring may allow the clutch pedal to hang in an at rest position with the piston short of the compensation port. If the internal pressure is not exhausted the CSC may get stroked too far and a clutch hydraulic system failure may result. The C5 clutch hydraulic systems were built by AP. The C6 systems were manufactured by FTE. Also, the pedal must be in the full up position, with the compensation port exposed, to bleed properly.

Anytime a dealer gets a hydraulic system complaint, the tech should inspect to insure that the spring is in place and properly connected. Related customer complaints might include poor shift performance, improper clutch release or transmission synchronizer damage.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

^Wow great info! Thanks!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:34 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Got the new one in after cutting my finger on the plate where the left prong goes into the plastic bushing, very sharp. I was trying to figure out how to get in in there, took me a while. When facing it from underneath. Put the right side in the bushing first. Push clutch all the way in. Make sure your e-brake is nice and tight. Then put the center portion on. Release the clutch pedal and get the left side in. Takes quite a bit of strength because you are working against the spring at a weird angle.

GM part number is 12555205. Ran me right under $10 with tax.

Quick question. Do the z06's have pads on the clutch or brake pedal? Mine is just metal. Looks like there should be a rubber cover on them. If so where can I get some? Thank You!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Metal

Get notified of new replies

To Spring on clutch pedal broke

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring on clutch pedal broke