C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pull the motor or just add heads an cam???

Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 PM
firemailwv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pull the motor or just add heads an cam???

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 6 speed car with 115K miles. I am not currently having any problems with the car. I am contemplating doing some engine work. I do not nor do I plan to do any racing, Just want a good weekend car that turns heads with a good lopey cam.

My concern is with the miles on the car. I think I would be more comfortable if I had he motor pulled and completely went through to hopefully ensure I'm not going to have any issues down the road. Am I being too overly cautious?

Thoughts?

If I would pull the motor I am not necessarily looking to go bigger unless of the course the money doesn't go up to much. What type of ball park prices should I be expecting?

thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:07 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Personally I would just go heads/cam long tubes. She'll make it to 200k just fine if you treat her right
Old 10-09-2014, 11:14 PM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Personally I would just go heads/cam long tubes. She'll make it to 200k just fine if you treat her right
I agree. I don't think 110K is a lot of miles on these engines. When I first started messing with cars, a car with 100K was ready for the junk yard in many cases. Almost had pistons swapping holes!! I bought plenty of them for $100 or less. Ran the crap out of them (I was 17) till I blew a clutch or ventilated the block. Had it towed away and got another one.

Technology has come a long way. Heads and a cam will give you a long lasting car if you drive it right. Check out the cams REALLY well. I wanted a lopey idle, installed a cam with 112 LSA, but also wanted it to still pull from low RPM. I got a few HP boost, but not much lope. I was disappointed. Now when I put my Maggie on there it's a different story. But a much larger drain on my bank account. I don't care. Getting smashed back in the seat at 40mph in 4th gear when I put the pedal down rocks!!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:14 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If the engine has been well maintained, your good to go. Is it quiet, no smoke? Good oil pressure? You could easily pull a valve cover. If it's clean in there, go for it.
This thread will put you at ease.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-on-a-c5.html
Old 10-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, When you UP the power, other things start showing their weaknesses.
For example:

Torque tube bushings and bearings.
Clutch/ clutch hydraulic system
Differential limited slip clutches and clutch plate Belleview springs

There is a BIG list of mandatory replacement parts that you have to purchase and if you want to do the job the BEST it can be, you should up grade to better replacement parts. Example:

ARP Head studs
ARP damper bolt
Ported OEM oil pump or a Melling pump
New damper Aftermarket is much better than stock

The list get bigger,, trust me.

Good luck!

Bill

So,,,,,,,,,,, This is going or could be a bigger investmant than you planned for.

TRUST ME! I know well!

Bill
Old 10-11-2014, 08:28 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Man what a buzz killer!!! But the truth is painful sometimes.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:13 AM
firemailwv
Advanced

Well, being a relative newby to this whole deal of performance engines, I certainly appreciate the feedback. Bill's information is exactly what I am looking for. The last thing I want to do is do something now and have to pay big later. I greatly prefer to do work that makes the engine better and not do anything that will make it a ticking time bomb. Ok, I know I may be a dramatic when I say that

But I really only plan to spend no more than 4k. But I want that money to be the best bang for my buck that I can.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Miles are miles
Dont kid yourself if you do a H/C you WILL be stepping on the loud pedal and it will be taxing that bottom end. Just do it right and not worry about it.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Not everyone has a lot of money to through at parts that can or could fail.

110k miles is fine for these engines.
You said you are not going to drag race it every single weekend.

If you are also not going to pull the heads every 6 months you don't need the head suds.
Yes they are great to have, and if you have the money get them. If not don't worry about.

As for the oil pump... did the one in it get you to 110k miles.
A cam and heads will not effect the oiling of the engine. Sure if you rebuild the bottom
end and you race the car, or you spray the car, or you do something needing the
additional oil movement then sure get one. But a simple head and cam swap for a street
car does not require one.

Its an LS... if the engine goes and you don't have the money for new one go to a
junk yard and get another one with 100k miles on it.

Remember most corvette guys simple adore there cars and want the very very best for them.
Check out some racing forums and see how hard you can really punish these engines.

Everything you have been told is good advice and you would benefit from all the parts mentioned.
Is you car going to blow up if you don't get them? No.
If you car does blow up it is not from a lack of those parts, it is from other unknown issues in the engine.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM
glastec1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM
firemailwv
Advanced

well I have asked cincy speed to provide some pricing for a heads/cam package. The numbers haven't came back yet, but I am leaning to just doing that.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM
firemailwv
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
Not everyone has a lot of money to through at parts that can or could fail.

110k miles is fine for these engines.
You said you are not going to drag race it every single weekend.

If you are also not going to pull the heads every 6 months you don't need the head suds.
Yes they are great to have, and if you have the money get them. If not don't worry about.

As for the oil pump... did the one in it get you to 110k miles.
A cam and heads will not effect the oiling of the engine. Sure if you rebuild the bottom
end and you race the car, or you spray the car, or you do something needing the
additional oil movement then sure get one. But a simple head and cam swap for a street
car does not require one.

Its an LS... if the engine goes and you don't have the money for new one go to a
junk yard and get another one with 100k miles on it.

Remember most corvette guys simple adore there cars and want the very very best for them.
Check out some racing forums and see how hard you can really punish these engines.

Everything you have been told is good advice and you would benefit from all the parts mentioned.
Is you car going to blow up if you don't get them? No.
If you car does blow up it is not from a lack of those parts, it is from other unknown issues in the engine.
thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To pull the motor or just add heads an cam???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pull the motor or just add heads an cam???