C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded oil pressure max

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM
billybalut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dreaded oil pressure max

ALoha friends, Like most of C5 owners I have fallen to the oil pressure sending gauge MAX reading failure which seems to be common problem! Actually the oil pressure gauge had been maxed out for years and now that I am retired I decided to finally get off my rear and fix it. I changed out the unit taking care not to over tighten (as indicated in numerous posts), and when I fired it up my gauge no longer reads MAX it now reads O and I now get a Service soon flash. I ran the codes and the only code was PCM PO522 which is low voltage error to the sending unit I just changed. I did notice that when I unhooked the electrical lead to the unit that it had been pulled apart and had exposed the wires. They did not look damaged so put it right and I plugged it back in but what I do not know is if this could be the problem and need to change this pigtail along with another new sending unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I do not want this one problem to become my life's work! Thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you fully repair the damaged wires? I would try that first. If that doesn't seem to resolve it, I'd try another sensor as they are prone to failure and could have been bad out of the box. Next, I'd try changing the pig tail if that did not work.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM
jac1979
Advanced

I am having the same prob. Mine has been stuck on max for a few years also and recently changed the sensor. I have changed my PCM twice since this occurred due to other issues. And pressure reading was the same after new PCMs so I don't think it's PCM related in my case. When I installed the new sensor it worked for about a day and the next day it slowly started creeping up to max over a period of driving 30 minutes. I guess the sensor could be bad but I'm wondering about the wiring from the sensor to the PCM.

I used a gm sensor, not sure if you are better off with something non-gm from a local parts store?

A while back there was a bundle of wires under the battery tray that got tore up from rubbing on the side of the battery tray. This caused the headlights not to go up/down, but I'm wondering if the oil pressure wires are in that same bundle of wires. I am leaning toward the wiring as my prob.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

If either of you used the OEM replacement your problem could be the sending unit itself as they have been known to be bad out of the box, or fail quickly. For the OP, I would check those wires and the plug itself again.

The brass version available at many parts stores (BWD I believe is the brand) is the best replacement part to get.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Do a search, the brass sensors are preferred. I think rock auto has them. Get a new pigtail from gm. The switch relocation kits are also very popular.
If you want to test it first, clamp a rubber hose around the sensor and apply air pressure. Make sure you don't exceed 75psi. Have someone in the car with the key on watching the gauge.

Last edited by martysauto; 10-14-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
billybalut
Advanced

Originally Posted by ledesordre
Did you fully repair the damaged wires? I would try that first. If that doesn't seem to resolve it, I'd try another sensor as they are prone to failure and could have been bad out of the box. Next, I'd try changing the pig tail if that did not work.
bought a new pig tail today and I will try that this weekend, if it still does not work properly I will change the sensor again.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Do not buy the AC Delco aluminum oil pressure sensor. They have been known to fail quickly. Buy the BWD brass oil pressure sensor. You can get them O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores and probably from other national auto parts suppliers.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 AM
billybalut
Advanced

Default Victory at last!

Thanks all appreciate the info, now for the good part! everything works proper now! Oil pressure great and no codes! Got the new pigtail from Rock auto, my usual go to guys and just as I thought one of the connector wires had broken inside of the cover and half way up the pigtail two of the wires had joined (melted from heat). I would have never found them unless I trimmed the wires 6 inches back. Went ahead and changed the sensor to a O'Rielly brass unit. (its taller and more easy to work with than the shorter GM unit) One thing I did notice was the PCV hoses from the right side of engine to the drivers side rear were shot and looked like melted rubber! Looked all over for the complete hoses and found them at Davies Corvette parts in Florida. They had the complete OE set. One final thing, I was able to change the sensor without pulling the intake. There is a guy on U tube that gives a step by step on how to change it, I did modify some of his steps and tools which made a big difference and if anyone wants to know how I did it just email me! Thanks for all the input! Mahalo!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM
billybalut
Advanced

Originally Posted by jac1979
I am having the same prob. Mine has been stuck on max for a few years also and recently changed the sensor. I have changed my PCM twice since this occurred due to other issues. And pressure reading was the same after new PCMs so I don't think it's PCM related in my case. When I installed the new sensor it worked for about a day and the next day it slowly started creeping up to max over a period of driving 30 minutes. I guess the sensor could be bad but I'm wondering about the wiring from the sensor to the PCM.

I used a gm sensor, not sure if you are better off with something non-gm from a local parts store?

A while back there was a bundle of wires under the battery tray that got tore up from rubbing on the side of the battery tray. This caused the headlights not to go up/down, but I'm wondering if the oil pressure wires are in that same bundle of wires. I am leaning toward the wiring as my prob.
I changed the sensor to a brass O'Reilly unit, taller and easier to work with and changed out the pig tail with a Rockauto unit, Cheap and enough wire for easy repair, I found my wires damaged in the wrap area six inches above the plug in and looks due to rubbing on firewall, all is well now!

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded oil pressure max

Quick Reply: Dreaded oil pressure max