C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a good 500HP clutch nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default What's a good 500HP clutch nowadays?

I am thinking about doing a mild turbo build. I don't plan on making more than 500whp. One of the things that will have to change is the stock clutch. I want something that will hold the power and drive like factory, without breaking the bank. LS7 seems like a good choice, but what else is out there nowadays? I don't think I need a twin disc at this power level, and I don't want an aggressive single disc with a heavy pressure plate that's going to be a pain to drive.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
I am thinking about doing a mild turbo build. I don't plan on making more than 500whp. One of the things that will have to change is the stock clutch. I want something that will hold the power and drive like factory, without breaking the bank. LS7 seems like a good choice, but what else is out there nowadays? I don't think I need a twin disc at this power level, and I don't want an aggressive single disc with a heavy pressure plate that's going to be a pain to drive.
Im at 460rwhp. I went with a Mantic ER2 single. Literally, factory drivability and pedal effort. All of the good about the stock clutch(pedal effort, engagement, smooth) and none of the negatives(sticky pedal, notchy shifting etc).

That with an MGW...slam gears all day long and its good to go.

Probably can't go wrong with Mantic or Monster...I'd go with either before an LS7.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

I was gonna do an LS7 also but changed my mind. Im gonna do a Mantic single also. Its not that much more money and holds more power. Im at 488 now but we all know sooner or later youll be itching for more power, dont try and kid yourself. Might as well do overkill on a clutch.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Cheesecake 07
Im at 460rwhp. I went with a Mantic ER2 single. Literally, factory drivability and pedal effort. All of the good about the stock clutch(pedal effort, engagement, smooth) and none of the negatives(sticky pedal, notchy shifting etc).

That with an MGW...slam gears all day long and its good to go.

Probably can't go wrong with Mantic or Monster...I'd go with either before an LS7.
I'm also have the Mantic ER2 and I'm at about 470rwhp, like Cheesecake 07 says about the drivability and pedal effort feels practically like stock. The Mantic ER2 is rated up to 700rwhp.
I know a few guys that have the Monster clutch and they are happy with them also.

Last edited by Navybluevette; 10-17-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:36 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

That new lt1-s clutch sounded pretty awesome too honestly. I'll try to find the thread on it
Old 10-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you replace the clutch, here are a few things to consider. I answered in this post. Dont want to see you leave something important off your repair list:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...same-time.html
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

.... I don't think I need a twin disc at this power level, and I don't want an aggressive single disc with a heavy pressure plate that's going to be a pain to drive.
Since you clearly note that you don't want heavy pressure, if you replace the clutch master cylinder, do NOT go with a Tick unit. It's dramatically heavier than stock.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Really helpful info here, thanks! For those of you who went with the Mantic ER2, did you need any additional shims/balancing, or did you just bolt on and go?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Also, what about a McLeod RST? I thought twin disc clutches were all in the $1k range, but it's about the same price as the Mantic single disc.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 PM
blackvette97
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, what about a McLeod RST? I thought twin disc clutches were all in the $1k range, but it's about the same price as the Mantic single disc.
I went with the Mcleod RST early this year and it seems to be working good pedal effort is less then stock and suppose to hold up to 800HP did notice that the engagement of the clutch is sooner not sure if this is the case with anyone else running this set up.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Really helpful info here, thanks! For those of you who went with the Mantic ER2, did you need any additional shims/balancing, or did you just bolt on and go?
Bolted in and went. No special balancing etc etc. I may have lucked out with that based on a few recent threads though. Id research the balancing issues the factory unit can cause after its removed before you dig in. Seems to have more to do with the factory unit than the replacement.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Mcleod RST
Old 10-22-2014, 01:53 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesecake 07
Bolted in and went. No special balancing etc etc. I may have lucked out with that based on a few recent threads though. Id research the balancing issues the factory unit can cause after its removed before you dig in. Seems to have more to do with the factory unit than the replacement.
could you please explain what you mean by those two sentences?
I'm just curious as to what is the general understanding "takeaway" from the previous threads on the subject.

Last edited by thbwlZ; 10-24-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What's a good 500HP clutch nowadays?

Quick Reply: What's a good 500HP clutch nowadays?