C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Horn won't sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:04 AM
bellssn690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Horn won't sound

I have an issue with my horn not sounding. When I hit the panic button on my fob, I hear the relay clicking but no sound and the fuse (20amp) is good. Also, it doesn't sound when I push on the steering wheel. I didn't even know where the damn horn was but read posts here and found it. I am currently making some makeshift ramps to get this ground-hugger raised up so I can even get to the horn but, once there is there something special I need to look for? I'll check for 12v while getting my wife to activate it. My question is this - if I don't have 12v at the horn but the fuse and relay are good how do I know if it's the actual horn itself or the steering wheel switch? I'm hoping it'll be an easy fix but I just got this last night and know very little about them. Thanks very much for any help!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If your FOB and the steering wheel horn switch do not activate the horn and you hear the relay operate it is probably the horn(s) itself. Could still be the relay activates but the internal contacts that actually power the horns are bad'

You can jumper the horns with a ground and 12volt source and see if it works. Here is the schematic. If you need more help PM with your phone number and I can walk you through this.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I think you answered your own question. If you don't have 12v at the horn, then the problem is not likely to be the horn itself. You should be able to verify this by disconnecting the horn form the vehicle cable and supplying 12 volts to the horn from another source.

Originally Posted by bellssn690
...My question is this - if I don't have 12v at the horn but the fuse and relay are good how do I know if it's the actual horn itself or the steering wheel switch?
Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Well, I verified 12v at the horn connector using the panic function and setting my fluke meter for min/max (12.64v). I then tried the jumper method - I hooked up a wire to each lead in the horn connector and touched the free ends to the battery terminals. Got two good sparks, no sound (other than arc at terminals) and now I don't even get the arc. I guess if my horn wasn't fried before it is now. Looks like I'll be buying a new horn and we'll see where that gets me. Also, I have noticed that my lights do NOT flash, even in sync with the relay clicking. Could there be other issues? Are they supposed to flash with the panic alarm? I would think they are.... Also, thanks for helping me so far
Old 10-18-2014, 02:20 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Replaced the horns and now they're working!! Now to figure out how to replace the left front blinker bulb.....
Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here is a good video from a friend on another Forum.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 AM
bellssn690
Instructor

Oh WOW is that ever easier than the way I did it......

It turns out that the bulb was not blown at all. Just more electrical gremlins. I need to get in there and clean all of the electrical grounding points.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

It is typical for the OEM bulbs to heat up the housing and burn a hole in it so water gets in. With the DRLs on it can build up a lot of heat.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Horn won't sound

Quick Reply: 2001 Horn won't sound