C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kook 1 3/4 header questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 12:59 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Kook 1 3/4 header questions?

I have a 97 that presently has stock exhaust with Borla stingers on the end. I am getting ready take thanks in advance

1. Do I need a heat shield for the starter?
2. Do I need insulation boots for plug wire?
3. What all do I need to remove for the install? I have the new design Header.
4. How long did it take you? Cincy speed wanted to charge 8-10 hours, Maryland Speed who I got it from said 1-2 hours.
5. I am installing the 160 thermostat, new plugs and new wires. Am I forgetting anything?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=29

That will be pretty useful overall for you. I have the new style 1 7/8" from Kooks and here is my experience:

1.) Nah
2.) I added some at a later date... nice to have, but not really needed
3.) Other than the expected stuff you're going to have to remove to pull the stock stuff, the only 'extra' thing I had to remove was an engine ground strap wire on the driver side.
4.) I put my car up on jack stands and did the install in my garage over the weekend. I can't remember the exact figure but you'll need around 20' on ground clearance. Took me both days, but I definitely took my time etc. If you've done the swap a few times before I guess 1-2 hours is possible, assuming you don't run into any rust/stuck bolt type issues removing the stock stuff. It's a relatively involved process, but really not that bad IMO. I also spent a good amount of time at the end making sure everything was back together/tight, exhaust tips were level/even etc etc.
5.) I would skip the 160 tstat altogether, but there are at least a hundred threads on that subject alone. I can't really think of any other "must do" mods while you're there.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:57 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

They tell you 1-2 hours to install because that helps sell them! A corvette specialty shop could probably do them in 2 hours. If your paying a shop to install them, I would say 4 billable hours is fair. You don't want them rushing threw the job. If you are doing it in your garage, maybe 8-10, depends on your tools and skill.
The flange bolts probably won't want to come off unless they are heated with an oxy/acetylene torch. Use extreme caution!
Old 10-18-2014, 03:04 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaronc7
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=29

That will be pretty useful overall for you. I have the new style 1 7/8" from Kooks and here is my experience:

1.) Nah
2.) I added some at a later date... nice to have, but not really needed
3.) Other than the expected stuff you're going to have to remove to pull the stock stuff, the only 'extra' thing I had to remove was an engine ground strap wire on the driver side.
4.) I put my car up on jack stands and did the install in my garage over the weekend. I can't remember the exact figure but you'll need around 20' on ground clearance. Took me both days, but I definitely took my time etc. If you've done the swap a few times before I guess 1-2 hours is possible, assuming you don't run into any rust/stuck bolt type issues removing the stock stuff. It's a relatively involved process, but really not that bad IMO. I also spent a good amount of time at the end making sure everything was back together/tight, exhaust tips were level/even etc etc.
5.) I would skip the 160 tstat altogether, but there are at least a hundred threads on that subject alone. I can't really think of any other "must do" mods while you're there.

Good luck!
Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by martysauto
They tell you 1-2 hours to install because that helps sell them! A corvette specialty shop could probably do them in 2 hours. If your paying a shop to install them, I would say 4 billable hours is fair. You don't want them rushing threw the job. If you are doing it in your garage, maybe 8-10, depends on your tools and skill.
The flange bolts probably won't want to come off unless they are heated with an oxy/acetylene torch. Use extreme caution!
Thanks, I already have been spraying them with PB for the last couple days. I will keep doing it through the week between heat cycles. Plan to do it next weekend. I will be doing it on jackstands at home like I did the Hooker super comp sidepipe headers on my 72 vette. Now that was an experience. I figured if I can put that exhaust on this one should be a breeze. Especially since I dont have to cut anything and it is 25 years newer. Only difference is I am used to working on old stuff this is the first non carb toy I have had other then my 03 Jeep.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:15 PM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Almost forgot, definitely use GM gaskets.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Almost forgot, definitely use GM gaskets.
Even over the reusable gaskets included with the headers?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:39 PM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Gm gaskets don't leak!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Gm gaskets don't leak!
Really? I have never heard of the soft reusable metal layered gaskets failing on the newer headers just the old ones. I thought they replaced them with Percy's seal 4 good gaskets just in Kooks packaging. Oh well really doesn't matter I do have 107k on it but I would bet I will be the first to ever remove the stock exhaust manifold so I wouldn't think reusing the stock 97's will be an issue. Unless since 97 was the first year C5 they had a different gasket material. That I do not know.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 AM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

I have a 2000. The stockers are MLS gaskets. I think they are stainless steel. I have heard of people reusing them although I bought new ones. I found the install easier using a couple of studs to hold the gasket and set the header on while staring the other bolts. I used the stock bolts as well. It's been a year and a half, no problems.
Maybe do a search on header gaskets.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 AM
TheDEfan
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of 1 3/4's coming Thursday. I've read a few nightmare stories on the web about installs. But according to Kooks they slip right in. True? I installed a set of LG's on my last Vette and it was a breeze.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheDEfan
I have a set of 1 3/4's coming Thursday. I've read a few nightmare stories on the web about installs. But according to Kooks they slip right in. True? I installed a set of LG's on my last Vette and it was a breeze.
Dont know yet, will by the end of the weekend
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Kooks redesigned their headers for the C5s sometime in 2012 or 2013... they slip right in like I mentioned above.

I just swapped X pipes last night and 1 more tip for you:

-Leave one of the headers (I prefer passenger side) loose before moving onto the X-pipe. IF you bolt the headers down tight, its very difficult to get the X pipe lined up into the headers since they come in at an angle.
-With the passenger header still loose, get the X pipe in place and get the clamps at the header/x-pipe hand tight so it will hold it in place.
-Next, I installed the bolts that hold up the x pipe via the springs.
-Hook up X pipe to axle back and tighten down.
-Then go back and tighten up header and header to x pipe connections.
-Now all you'll have left is the X-pipe slip fits....get everything lined up how you want, then tighten those down.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Kooks redesigned their headers for the C5s sometime in 2012 or 2013... they slip right in like I mentioned above.

I just swapped X pipes last night and 1 more tip for you:

-Leave one of the headers (I prefer passenger side) loose before moving onto the X-pipe. IF you bolt the headers down tight, its very difficult to get the X pipe lined up into the headers since they come in at an angle.
-With the passenger header still loose, get the X pipe in place and get the clamps at the header/x-pipe hand tight so it will hold it in place.
-Next, I installed the bolts that hold up the x pipe via the springs.
-Hook up X pipe to axle back and tighten down.
-Then go back and tighten up header and header to x pipe connections.
-Now all you'll have left is the X-pipe slip fits....get everything lined up how you want, then tighten those down.
Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 02:38 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

We suggested it could be professionally done in 2 hours, so he doesn't get hosed for 10 hours of labor like it sounds somebody tried to do. A C5 longtube install was notoriously a tough install before the new redesign.

Granted we do lots and lots of header installs, the mechanics here at the shop complete just about any LS header install in about 90 minutes. Just trying to look out for our customers
Old 10-22-2014, 05:37 PM
TheDEfan
Pro

One shop quoted me $1000.00 yeah right. I can do it on my back in my garage in probably 6 hours.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

I am paying 350.00 to have it all installed, new plugs, wires and 160 stat. That is worth it to me just to not have to go around jacking up one corner at a time to get it high enough. I did the Hooker super comp sidepipe headers on my 72 vette at home alone in my garage. I will never do that one again! All the cutting, I had to use the floor jack to try and hold the header close enough to start a bolt. Then mounting the 4" tubes to the frame. Header studs were to big for 1 7/8 pipes so you had to use bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To Kook 1 3/4 header questions?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 2002 LS1 six speed and am seriously considering installing headers. I don't know about 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 mean other than diameter. What tune do I need? Does the headers come with the EGR line coupling. (2 bolt air valve). I have an X pipe ready to install and wanted to do it all at the same time.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumper11
I got a 2002 LS1 six speed and am seriously considering installing headers. I don't know about 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 mean other than diameter. What tune do I need? Does the headers come with the EGR line coupling. (2 bolt air valve). I have an X pipe ready to install and wanted to do it all at the same time.
What brand X pipe you have?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 PM
TheDEfan
Pro

It was easier than I thought is was going to be on my 98. The biggest PITA was swapping out the RH air tube that runs behind the intake. That's not going to an issue on my 01.

Quick Reply: Kook 1 3/4 header questions?