C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 PM
rayz1951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Overheated LS1

I took the 99 out last night and got stuck in some traffic. I noticed the temp starting to climb to the 250 mark,and beyond, then the red light went on, fortunately, I was at my destination and was able to turn the car off. I lost some coolant through all this so I was concerned, since I was about 30 mile from home. We were at our destination for a few hours, enough to let it cool down. On the way home the car ran just as it should and the temp stayed constant at 189 to 195 all the way home. I drove it today, all morning, no problem. I've been stuck in traffic before without a problem. Could it be an air pocket in the system or a fan malfunction, they worked today BTW, thermostat problem, I'm baffled.

Quick history, I had another motor put in because I hydrolock my original, another story. I've had the car for about 1 1/2 months, no issues, dealer install. The motor I got is from a 2000 with 29000 miles on it.

Any idea as to what happened?

Ray Z
Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Clean out the debris that collects between the condenser and readiator. Recheck the coolant level, top as needed. Make sure both fans run at low and high speeds.
Did you open the hood when the engine was still hot and check to see if the fans were running at high speed?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:45 PM
rayz1951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by martysauto
Clean out the debris that collects between the condenser and readiator. Recheck the coolant level, top as needed. Make sure both fans run at low and high speeds.
Did you open the hood when the engine was still hot and check to see if the fans were running at high speed?
Everything looks clear. When I checked the fluid level this morning it was full., as for the fan I don't know if it was running at high speed. The fan was running today, but I didn't think to check them last night.

Ray
Old 10-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Use the search function here and search "radiator genie" lots of info in it.
It may look clear but it does build up in the fins

Get notified of new replies

To Overheated LS1

Quick Reply: Overheated LS1