C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in oil - c5 z06 A&A supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:34 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Coolant in oil - c5 z06 A&A supercharged

Well bad news guys looks like I might have some coolant in my oil. I had speed inc install a&a kit on my car early this year and after I attended the half-mile event by wanna go fast I noticed my car was running low and loosing coolant. I thought it was just leaking but when I look in my garage I didn't see any leaks on the floor. so I need to monitor this and over time it seems to be consuming more and more coolant. So on my last oil change I sent the oil out to Blackstone and my worst thoughts came true. The coolant is somehow getting into my oil.

Here is the notes Blackstone sent me on the oil analysis test:

Note: my car is a 2002 c5 z06 with 40k miles on it maybe about 4k miles with the A&a supercharger set up. I was using mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 and change my oil in 2k mile intervals. I drop the car off at speed inc in about a month and from the looks of the oil test I may need to build my motor as it's showing excessive bearing wear. Not looking to go nuts just want to build the bottom end up to handle the boost. In order for them to inspect the car it's going to cost me a lot of money so I may as well just have them build the motor while they're in there.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before I'm thinking that it may be be a result of a bad head gasket issue or a cracked cylinder wall which is resulting in the coolant getting in the oil. Sucks that it had to happen but eventually I was planning on doing a bottom end build. Just didn't expect it to happen so soon. Any thoughts or insights on what I should do. I'm not looking to do anything crazy with this car just would like something reliable and am content at around 700 wheel horsepower. The car was making 660 wheel horsepower on the stock ls6 bottom end. I really didn't beat on the car that much although a few passes at that half-mile is probably what did it is what I'm thinking. Suggestions/thoughts?

Last edited by c6speedjon; 10-18-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:05 PM
hawk4077
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket???
Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Most likely cause is a blown head gasket, due to the boost you are running which dramatically increases cylinder pressure. If too much coolant was in the oil for too long, you probably wiped out bearings too - which the oil test seems to indicate.

Given the current situation, you are probably headed down the right path - time for a full rebuild.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pull the heads & have a look
Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 AM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

What head gaskets were used? Curious. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frodo84
What head gaskets were used? Curious. Good luck with the rebuild.
GM Multi-Layer Steel LS1/LS6 Cylinder Head Gasket
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I would stop driving it now before bad things (expensive things) happen. If you rebuild your ls6, I suggest at least a set of forged pistons and arp head studs. Make sure the deck is flat and the heads are straight as well. If the heads need to be resurfaced, you might want to use a dished piston. Your machine shop should be able to calculate the compression.
Good luck with the autopsy.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

And get some better crankcase ventilation. Maybe an A&A vacuum pump?

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant in oil - c5 z06 A&A supercharged

Quick Reply: Coolant in oil - c5 z06 A&A supercharged