C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic, shift cable broke, is it harder to push?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:31 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Automatic, shift cable broke, is it harder to push?

Car would not start. I had it towed to Lambs Automotive. Mechanic said he pushed my car into his shop, slight upgrade, and it took a while to diagnose the problem, which he said is a broken shift cable and was stuck in reverse. I thought it would be hard to push if car was in reverse, so that would be a huge clue. Could he have found a cheap problem and just said it was the cable?

Thoughts please................

Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It probably pushed easy after the tow truck broke the trans getting it to the garage.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Being stuck in reverse will keep it from starting. You should always ask to see any replaced parts from any shop you may not fully trust. I doubt you suffered any transmission damage. With the engine not running I don't think the trans would be engaged.

Last edited by BigGun; 10-24-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

It won't hurt a thing to push an auto trans car while it's stuck in reverse. But it will be hard, the trans gears are engaged.
The switch that tells the car it's in gear is on the trans end of the cable. It's a neutral safety switch, hence the no start.

The cable isn't trivial to replace.....

Ron
Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Agree. The shift cable shouldn't be that big of a deal to replace. My question: how did you get the key out in the first place? Every automatic I've ever seen break a shift cable did so while trying to put it in park. The key wouldn't come out of the ignition.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as a car has an auto trans it will push in any gear except park as if it were in neutral.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:26 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by reath1
As long as a car has an auto trans it will push in any gear except park as if it were in neutral.
Gears are actually engaged by the oil under pressure coming from the pump. Without the engine running no fluid gets pumped so no gear can get engaged regardless of the position of the shift lever.

This is also why you can't tow an automatic vehicle very far on it's drive wheels if the engine isn't running. The pump also pumps oil to the various bushings, clutches, sprags etc for lubrication.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 10-25-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic, shift cable broke, is it harder to push?

Quick Reply: Automatic, shift cable broke, is it harder to push?