C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Header install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:03 AM
TheDEfan
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Kooks Header install

I received my Kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes yesterday and I was going over the instructions. They are saying to install them from the top and to remove and move all kinds of things, but then they have nice little video on their web site showing them just slipping in from the bottom right in place easy as pie, even right past the starter. What's the real story? I installed LG's on my last C5 and it was pretty easy.

Last edited by TheDEfan; 10-24-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:18 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Their instructions are junk...intended for their older design, which was supposedly a royal pain in the *** to install.

I followed the LS1howto website for stock part removal and then the rest is very easy/self explanatory. Once all the stock junk is out, the headers slide in just fine from the bottom. The only "extra" I had to remove was a single ground strap wire on the driver side.

I couple other gotchas are to leave one of the headers loose before you install the xpipe as it needs a bit of play for it line up right, since the header outlets angle inward...will make sense when you see it.

Other than that I found it to be very straightforward. I had about 20" ground clearance I wanna say and it was tight but worked out fine.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:35 PM
TheDEfan
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Their instructions are junk...intended for their older design, which was supposedly a royal pain in the *** to install.

I followed the LS1howto website for stock part removal and then the rest is very easy/self explanatory. Once all the stock junk is out, the headers slide in just fine from the bottom. The only "extra" I had to remove was a single ground strap wire on the driver side.

I couple other gotchas are to leave one of the headers loose before you install the xpipe as it needs a bit of play for it line up right, since the header outlets angle inward...will make sense when you see it.

Other than that I found it to be very straightforward. I had about 20" ground clearance I wanna say and it was tight but worked out fine.

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I just did the 1 7/8's a couple months ago and went in from the bottom also both sides. Only parts I took off were coil packs on both sides, disconnected the fuel line of course, took out the spark plugs as I was changing them and you should lol. But other than that nothing. Did it by myself in 5 hours. Did a lot of detailing underneath also.

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks Header install

Quick Reply: Kooks Header install