C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest way to disable power radio antenna (convertible)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Easiest way to disable power radio antenna (convertible)

Hi
I had the trunk-mounted cd-changer (2003 50th Anny convertible), and I recently installed a simple plug-and-play harness to connect it instead to my MP3 player. Works great.

I would now like to get rid of the power antenna. Unlike most head units, the antenna is UP whenever the unit is on, rather than only when listening to AM/FM. I get a distinct whistle-type noise over 50mph with the top down and the antenna up. I would like to disable it permanently. Removing fuse number 23 (labeled "power antenna") worked, but also killed power to the cd-changer (and my MP3 conversion).

I don't need or want an on-off switch (as posted in Electrical/audio), but would seek a simple method to kill it entirely. Rather than start taking panels off, I thought I would ask for advice here.

Thank you in advance for your help and insight.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Clip or disconnect the power wire going to the antenna. The easiest place to access it is behind the trunk liner by the antenna. If the wires aren't accessible there, you can remove the right rear tail light and get to them through the hole.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:46 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I think you meant fuse 24 and NOT fuse 23.
There is also a black wire that goes to the splice pack 302 and then to the G302 ground point.
You might try just unplugging the connector at the two wire connector from the antenna.
Of course you are correct: Fuse 24 :-)

Q1: Where is the most accessible point to get to the black ground wire?

Q2: I assume the two-wire connector is located near the antenna itself?

Many thanks.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:10 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Remove the carpet by the antenna. Cut the pink wire. Done, 5 minutes max.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcgunn
Remove the carpet by the antenna. Cut the pink wire. Done, 5 minutes max.
Exactly as stated! The carpet is not even held down - just pulls easily aside and there is the wire. Given the other tasks I have undertaken, I would never have believed it was this easy :-)

Many thanks.
The following users liked this post:
kemosabe (09-18-2019)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smartadze
Exactly as stated! The carpet is not even held down - just pulls easily aside and there is the wire. Given the other tasks I have undertaken, I would never have believed it was this easy :-)

Many thanks.
I just pulled the carpet on that side and unplugged it. Not sure why you guys are even consideringcutting a wire.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:06 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
I just pulled the carpet on that side and unplugged it. Not sure why you guys are even consideringcutting a wire.
By leaving all but the pink wire intact, the antenna is still operational while retracted. (for strong local stations)
Old 10-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
By leaving all but the pink wire intact, the antenna is still operational while retracted. (for strong local stations)
thats interesting, I may do this too.. I only use FM to link my SAt NAv to the stereo, as it houses MP3's etc.. so hopfully it should still work, or with it being right next to system, may work anyway?
Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 PM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The antenna was the loudest thing with the top down, the wind whistled on it.

I just unplugged mine also. No need to cut anything and its east to get to in the trunk
Old 12-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Amazing1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help Please

Can someone tell me where the "toe plate" is located in a 04 Vert?

I know what it sounds like but I have a bad back and bending down to look inside the car is kind of tough for me. I didn't see anything that looked like it opened up to reveal fuses on first glance, so that is why I am asking. Is it up higher than the top of the floor mats, kind of almost under the dash?

I ask because I am trying to pull the fuse #24 to stop the antenna from going up since I do not listen to the radio. Will this cause me to lose anything else, stereo or otherwise if I do this?

Thanks so much for your assistance.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:13 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Amazing1
Can someone tell me where the "toe plate" is located in a 04 Vert?

I know what it sounds like but I have a bad back and bending down to look inside the car is kind of tough for me. I didn't see anything that looked like it opened up to reveal fuses on first glance, so that is why I am asking. Is it up higher than the top of the floor mats, kind of almost under the dash?

I ask because I am trying to pull the fuse #24 to stop the antenna from going up since I do not listen to the radio. Will this cause me to lose anything else, stereo or otherwise if I do this?

Thanks so much for your assistance.
disconnect the power to the antenna and leave the antenna and radio cable connected.

Located in the trunk on the right bottom corner. Absolutely no need to take out any tail lights lol.

If you need more help pm me and I'll make a video.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Amazing1: to see the "toe kick", remove the passenger side floor mat; right where the floor pan bends upwards is the bottom of the "toe kick", should be able to feel the lip of the panel. Look about 8" higher and on each side are the retainers. Same color as the carpet.

Get notified of new replies

To Easiest way to disable power radio antenna (convertible)

Quick Reply: Easiest way to disable power radio antenna (convertible)