C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Torque Limiting Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Looks like I am going to need more parts
Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 PM
v98roadie
Trucker
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I got mine back today and there is a noise in the rear end under acceleration that he can't seem to figure out. The diff was built with 3.73 gears by the best Corvette drive train builder in the OKC area and I trust him completely. He has had the diff out twice and replaced the gears and bearings twice. The wear in pattern on the first set was perfect, the preload and backlash are spot on and yet the noise persists. He asked me to drive it hard for a couple hundred miles and bring it back in so he can tear it down a third time. I am wondering if I don't have some kind of harmonic sound coming from the HPE brace being mounted metal on metal as mentioned by zeevette above. I'm going to run it hard this weekend and se if it makes any difference. Going from 2.73 to 3.73 is AMAZING even though the noise drives me nuts. The car performs and sounds GRRRRREAT (except for the diff whine).
Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v98roadie
Well, I got mine back today and there is a noise in the rear end under acceleration that he can't seem to figure out. The diff was built with 3.73 gears by the best Corvette drive train builder in the OKC area and I trust him completely. He has had the diff out twice and replaced the gears and bearings twice. The wear in pattern on the first set was perfect, the preload and backlash are spot on and yet the noise persists. He asked me to drive it hard for a couple hundred miles and bring it back in so he can tear it down a third time. I am wondering if I don't have some kind of harmonic sound coming from the HPE brace being mounted metal on metal as mentioned by zeevette above. I'm going to run it hard this weekend and se if it makes any difference. Going from 2.73 to 3.73 is AMAZING even though the noise drives me nuts. The car performs and sounds GRRRRREAT (except for the diff whine).

How is the "wheel hop" has it been eliminated or reduced? Also with the torque mount installed how much more driveline vibration do your feel?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Old tires or runflat tires will definitely cause this. You can also play around with your tire pressure. I would install a poly trans mount and poly motor mounts. Hinson makes really good ones. If you only do a trans mount, it can cause vibration issues and put too much stress on the new mount. The stock engine and trans mounts allow the whole drivetrain and engine to flop around like a fish out of water.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak87
How is the "wheel hop" has it been eliminated or reduced? Also with the torque mount installed how much more driveline vibration do your feel?
I don't have any WH, or vibration after adding both, except in cold weather. It's not like I have any traction anyway.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 PM
v98roadie
Trucker
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wheel hop non-existent vibration none that I can feel. Once the diff was set up right, the mount installed correctly it works as advertised. I've added the tunnel reinforcement plate also. Though I know they address different issues, the combination makes mine feel a lot more solid. I am going to add the C6 Z shocks and C6 sway bars next. I'll eventually have the feel I want, almost there! If it weren't for the cheap factory seat construction and some of the early 2K plastic on the dash this car would place among the best on the road. Everything I read about the C5 here on the forum (at least the stuff posted by regulars) has been true. It is an exceptional buy for a high performance sports car even with spending a few $$ on mods. Sorry for the sermon I guess I am just a passionate guy!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:51 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

Nice, I'll be buying the torque mount tomorrow then probably, gonna be drag racing a few times this summer don't want anything to snap prematurely
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 AM
MJs1fastSS
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak87
Nice, I'll be buying the torque mount tomorrow then probably, gonna be drag racing a few times this summer don't want anything to snap prematurely
Are they in stock yet?
Old 03-21-2015, 01:39 AM
MJs1fastSS
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Ed,

Did you use EPDM tape? I'm running a DTE brace, and Pfadt mount.

Edit: found more pics in the build topic.
Patches you left your dif vibation dampner on?

I thought is was supposed to be removed with the install of the torque mount? Please correct me as ill be ording a torque mount one hoosier restocks
Old 03-21-2015, 01:11 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJs1fastSS
Are they in stock yet?
I don't believe so yet, but it let me place the order, still waiting on a call back to give them payment info, weird that it's PayPal or print and call never seen print and call before but I got no answer when I called
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by MJs1fastSS
Patches you left your dif vibation dampner on?

I thought is was supposed to be removed with the install of the torque mount? Please correct me as ill be ording a torque mount one hoosier restocks
No, I removed it shortly after that pic was taken. I bought the mount after that pic.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 PM
SpeedFreak87
Instructor

OMG finally got the damn mount installed, the two stupid allen head bolts were the biggest pain in the ***, hopefully I got everything tight enough....I didn't use any shims the pads seemed to be touching on both sides without them, at most the drivers side might have been able to squeeze one but I didn't want it to be uneven

Quick Reply: Hoosier Torque Limiting Mount?