C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick speed bleeder won't fit new slave

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Tick speed bleeder won't fit new slave

Purchased a tick speed bleeder plus a Monster stage 2 clutch kit with a new f-body slave ( same as C5, just have to swap the inlet fitting). Tried installing the Tick onto the new slave, and the fitting won't thread in all the way, I think it's slightly too large. Took my old one apart and the Tick fitting goes on fine. I threaded the original bleed fitting from the new unit onto my old slave and it will screw in but there's a bit of play in it.

Any ideas why the new slave is a tad smaller threads? I google'ed a bit and couldn't find anything with this problem so I'm going to call Monster and Tick on Monday. Unfortunately this means my car is down for another week unless Home Depot has a copper fitting that works.

And before anyone says: Because it's an f-body slave! , I'm pretty certain that's not the issue. Tick even lists their speed bleeder as being for "97-04 Corvette & Z06, 04-06 GTO & 98-02 Camaro & Firebird LS1".
Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I installed a monster stage 2 with a speed bleeder. No problems. Maybe you were shipped the wrong part or a manufacturing defect. Can you post pics?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:45 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Hard to believe it's a manufacturing defect because that would mean the original bleed fitting the new unit shipped with was also defected. Part number on the new slave is D951004, just like the old one and every other LS1 slave I've seen. The fact that the Tick fits my old one but not the new one is strange... almost as if they changed the hole size for the bleed screw on the new slave units. Given that I haven't seen anyone else with this problem makes that unlikely.

I can screw the fitting on about one revolution before it gets very hard. Pretty sure I'm going to strip threads if I force it on. Other cars I've installed speed bleeders on went on very smoothly.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:26 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi

I had my motor hanging ready to go in , oh I need to put my speed bleeder in .
Got mine from tspeed , the problem on mine was it was to small ,think it was like an m8 but the slave had a m10 , Christmas holidays and im in the uk , had to chop both , old and new in half then welded the new top half to the old bottom threaded part , not ideal but works so far.

See if you can verify what thread size`s and pitch you have on your slave and bleeder ,you might be able to get an adapter from a local speed shop ??

you will get it sorted just a pita eh .
Old 10-26-2014, 03:48 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Took the fittings to Home Depot. They both seemed to be m10 x 1.5 threads, although the new slave seemed to just be a much tighter fit. Used an impact to try to drive the new Tick fitting into the new slave and managed to shear it in half. So I've got half the fitting stuck in the slave. On the brightside it looked like it had actually seated all the way before breaking, so off to a machine shop tomorrow to remove the half bolt, and just need to get my hands on a new fitting.

Get notified of new replies

To Tick speed bleeder won't fit new slave

Quick Reply: Tick speed bleeder won't fit new slave