C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick for the telescoping switch for the column?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Trick for the telescoping switch for the column?

I have to replace my steering column covers because of brittle snapped parts, snaps gone, etc. The only part you can get now is in a shale like color- not gray but not tan either. I don't know why they couldn't come in Black -like the original?? I can deal- just get some good semi gloss spray black.

Problem is how do you get the telescoping button off and out of the lower half of the cover without snipping wires. I traced the wires back a ways, and it looks like they go back to a huge cluster of wires, with no connectors, although I could be wrong on that. The switch itself looks like a challenge to remove from the lower cover too. The manual says "remove switch" - big f'n help!

Any body know the trick here?

Best always,

Bluemill
Old 10-29-2014, 03:19 AM
hron61
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemill
The manual says "remove switch" - big f'n help!
Dont cha just hate that? Show me pics how is my motto.

Last edited by hron61; 10-29-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What I tried to do to color the GM part....

GM did the replacement steering column covers in a weird SHALE color, not gray and not tan either?? So I do the painting with satin black Krylon-one step, no primer necessary, thinking it will be duller than semi-gloss. It still is a bit shinier than the rest of the interior. I guess if I give it one pass of flat black- it may look closer. Why would GM make the part in shale any way? I bet that 2003-4 shale interior car had an all black column, and for that matter, I've never seen anything but an all black dash, steering wheel, and column in a C5.

Still waiting on what to do with the telescoping switch. Do you unscrew the tiny screws in the switch itself? Or, is their a very small connector for this switch deep under the dash? Hasn't any body been there?

Help!

Best always,

Bluemill

Get notified of new replies

To Trick for the telescoping switch for the column?

Quick Reply: Trick for the telescoping switch for the column?