C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch and Driveshaft Couplers: Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 AM
ErikZ1220
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Driveshaft Couplers: Advice please

Hey Everyone,

I've had my C5 LS1 (~60K miles on it) for just about a year now (my first vette), and my clutch pedal is stuck to the floor. I found out about the hydraulic issues AFTER the fact (of course) and I'm sure none of the owners before me ever knew about it either..So flushing the fluid looked like I was changing my oil!!

I'll get to the point.. In the spring, I plan on swapping out the Master, Slave and clutch, and while I'm in there, the drive shaft couplers as well..

My future plans for my 'build' will only consist of headers and maybe an exhaust system, although there IS already an aftermarket Magnaflow system already on the car, and I replaced the intake earlier this year...

So, I'm thinking of going with this clutch kit:

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...-corvette-z06/

Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Also, Driveshaft coupler suggestions would be a help too.. Not sure which way to go on that...

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as couplers go, I researched the issue extensively before doing my clutch and freshening up my driveshaft components, and I concluded that stock couplers are absolutely the best bet. Not just for a car that will remain mostly stock, but even some high HP builds are better off with the stock couplers. Many of the poly "upgrades" have had big problems dealing with the heat and have failed miserably. Going with "solid" billet couplers defeats the purpose of some of the dampening properties that the couplers are supposed to deal with, potentially causing increased wear and bad harmonics elsewhere. In short, don't gamble on anything other than OEM GM. The aftermarket couplers that "look" like rubber GM but cost a fraction are total soft crap. Buyer beware.

Quick Reply: Clutch and Driveshaft Couplers: Advice please