C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with 97 C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:20 AM
RCS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help needed with 97 C5

Hi

Just got the C5 from Manila today and i notised 2 things i dident expect.

The aircon (With driver and passanger seperate) just wount work properly. I press aircon button it blinks and turns off... SOme of the buttons dont have light but that might be something compleatly unrelated. To me it seem like the whole ventilation is out of wack. Seem like channels dont open (Like to the window) and the passangerside button do nothing...

Also the wipers dont work. Only on the highest speed will it slowly start and then speed up. If i turn it off it just stopps. It dont go back to startingpoint.
Now can this be symphtoms of the battery/ground issues? You see it says it charges 13.3volts..Thats a bit low right? Can the reason for this be weak ground around the car?

If my Strada battery fits ill try to put it in and try how that works... Im werry open for suggestions. I still have 10% left to pay and they sold the car with the words "Nothing to fix!" So i hope this is related to the electrical issue these have with low volts.

All constructive answers is welcome. Yes i did search on this topic but since this is 2 things i figure ill just ask here so i can get faster answer since the seller is expecting his money.

RCS
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AH, the fun BEGINS. Is this the "cherry" car you got from Japan?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM
RCS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
AH, the fun BEGINS. Is this the "cherry" car you got from Japan?
Do you have a constructive thing to add, then im happy to listen.
Noone talked about a "cherry" but a 17yr old Corvette.... Question is if this can be related to lov volts ore not. Hope you can share your posetive feedback on this :-)
Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Did the car start? Did you load test the battery? Maybe you can turn spell check on too. You should invest in the factory service manual too, your going to NEED IT!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM
RCS
Instructor

Yes starts and runs great. Lights and everything works. Unless there are something i dont know off most of the things works.. abs breaks to :-).

Im sorry about my spelling. Im Norwegian so im bound to have mistakes. As far as i know the spellcheck wont work on the androide phone?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

You really will need the factory service manual and learn how to search with Google for these issues, the search function on this site is not the best and Google will find things faster. There is a vacuum hose on the back of the intake that controls the HVAC vents, many times it's off/broken (under the battery many times).

Your going to be chasing things for quite a while, get ready!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
RCS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you don't drive it in the rain and don't use the AC then there is "NOTHING TO FIX".

Likely the wiper well drains are plugged up and the wiper motor is or was underwater causing the motor to no longer work. Replacement will likely be necessary.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html

Low volts on the dash gauges is likely due to burnt contact points in the ignition switch. Plenty of info on repairing the ignition switch on the forum. Here are a few threads to get you started:

diagnosis

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568186703-post64.html

removal

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571067145-post107.html

repair procedure

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

AC not working MIGHT just be low Freon or it may be due to other electrical issues such as grounds and/or failed actuator motors for the AC system. Again plenty of info on the forum about repairing/replacing the actuator motors.

If you can do your own work you MAY be able to take care of the issues you have found so far (there will be others that show up once you have spent some time with the car) relatively inexpensively. If you have to pay someone to do the work then it cost you a fair amount more for repairs.

Problems are pretty much typical of owning a C5. If you have not read this thread yet, NOW is the time to do so!!!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html

And if you do your own work this one also:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-in-here.html

Search will turn up many others as well. Learn how to use it.

I agree a service manual will be a great investment if you do your own work!!
So this can NOT be related to the issue of corroded grounds? I have been reading alot in here and it seem all say this voltage issue can result in all sorts of issues?

I can do most things myself and if i need mechanic its 0.7$ pr houer at the expensive place. Problem is that they have no experiance on Corvette and parts dont exist here. So all needs to be ordered from US.

i can add that the light in the ac is werry low. At daytime i almost cant see it. Is there a special setting the ac shuld be in to be able to get cold air. According to the seller the car had a minor damage upfront so they change the radiator, ac pump and front bumper... what else is up front there that culd result in ac not wanting to turn on..

oh important info to include is that at first when i picked it up it was cold as ice. But then it stopped. When i tested the car the guy showing it (older friend of the owner) restarted the car and it worked. But it hasent worked for me today
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

There are threads here on replacing the bulbs in the AC head unit (search is your friend). Now it had body damage huh. Do the popup headlight work?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Charging at 13.3 volts is low. You need t measure that actual voltage at the battery while charging and see what it reads.

Doing a load test on the battery is also a good idea.

HVAC issue could be the vacuum line. Could also be an electrical issues with the actuators. Pull your DIC codes and let's see if anything shows up. If you don't know how to do that let us know.

Common for the HVAC bulbs to go out and they can be replaced. Does the display in the center work?

Wiper issues are probably related just to that unit and not grounds but could be. I can post where the one for this is when I get home. There are udders that can get clogged and not drain water from the cowl area and damage the wiper unit. We can also provide that info too.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is the grounds information in case you ever want to know what each ground is for.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...locations.html
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Hmm, no updates today, must not be going well.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM
RCS
Instructor

Hmm, no updates today, must not be going well.
How entertaining you are :-)

Ihavent had time for the car today but im ordering parts as we speak
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RCS
How entertaining you are :-)

Ihavent had time for the car today but im ordering parts as we speak
What parts? Troubleshoot any of yesterdays issues? Hey, I'm still amazed a Norwegian living in the Philippines gets a Corvette shipped to him from JAPAN. WOW, still beyond belief.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
RCS
Instructor

I have a friend in Seattle coming over here the 10th nov. So i order moore general parts. Lift pucks, door sills, the steering lock fix and some serviceparts. Ill also preorder a B&B Bullet catback to get some more soundt in it...

I will make a list after troubleshooting then see if i chave it shippet by balikbayan box
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Headlights work ok?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 AM
RCS
Instructor

Yes headlights works good. The front bumper is aftermarked not same design as original. I like the look but im lacking some daylight driving lights.

I talked to the owner and it seem she claims the aircon will start after "intervals" she said (shes a Filipina). Is there any settings it needs to be in to turn on the ac? It blows air but not cold. Also im expecting air to blow on the window when the "defrost" setting is set (i dont know the correct name for the setting to blow air to the windshield)

The battery is suppose to be new but i suspect its a Philippines made battery. Cheap. Ill check all on saturday and start on the grounds. Messure the volts its charging and try to look over the wipermotor if its not to difficult to access. Its weird there is no respons on all levels but the highest. When i get to the highest speed it starts slow, then sspeeding up. Now when i turn it off it just stops wherever it is and dont go back to its starting position... seem like the motor works but gets no signal?

The aircon lacks lights. The display is werry dim and it shows -37 celcius. No respons on twisting the passanger side button. If i pres ac it blinks and stop... nothing happens.

Oh well... let the fun begin.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:33 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Here's how to fix the dim display:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...splay-fix.html

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed with 97 C5

Old 10-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I feel for you dude.

I purchased a pristine 97 about 7 months ago and had to fix these issues:
1. Passenger side window not moving (Free fix)
2. AC blowing from all vents ($10 fix)
3. Service col lock error ($40 fix)
4. TAC Module ($200 fix - i didn't need to do this, but a proactive fix)
5. New Battary ($100)- again, not needed , but battary was 7 years old)

Lot's of guys here can help.

Vic
Old 10-30-2014, 02:33 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RCS
Yes headlights works good. The front bumper is aftermarked not same design as original. I like the look but im lacking some daylight driving lights.

I talked to the owner and it seem she claims the aircon will start after "intervals" she said (shes a Filipina). Is there any settings it needs to be in to turn on the ac? It blows air but not cold. Also im expecting air to blow on the window when the "defrost" setting is set (i dont know the correct name for the setting to blow air to the windshield)

The battery is suppose to be new but i suspect its a Philippines made battery. Cheap. Ill check all on saturday and start on the grounds. Messure the volts its charging and try to look over the wipermotor if its not to difficult to access. Its weird there is no respons on all levels but the highest. When i get to the highest speed it starts slow, then sspeeding up. Now when i turn it off it just stops wherever it is and dont go back to its starting position... seem like the motor works but gets no signal?

The aircon lacks lights. The display is werry dim and it shows -37 celcius. No respons on twisting the passanger side button. If i pres ac it blinks and stop... nothing happens.

Oh well... let the fun begin.

SO, is the replacement nose flexible or is it a solid fiberglass piece?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:52 PM
RCS
Instructor

What parts? Troubleshoot any of yesterdays issues? Hey, I'm still amazed a Norwegian living in the Philippines gets a Corvette shipped to him from JAPAN. WOW, still beyond belief.
About the truble shooting. I have not had time to look mutch at the car. Today is supposed to be that day where i do some truble shooting. But i did give it a rinse the other day and when i entered the car then the AC did turn on. 2h later driving the car back in to the garage it dident turn on... It shuld be mentioned that the radiator, AC pump and some parts aroundt these things was changed by the previus owner....

Ill get back to what i find out. The window washer is also an issue i shuld look into

Quick Reply: Help needed with 97 C5