C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Stands or Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jack Stands or Lift?

My C5 with a stock LS1 has, for the second time, broken a weld. It is the weld between the muffler assembly and the H pipe. I had it welded once before but it has let loose again. Soooooo, I guess it is time to bite the bullet and replace it with something has that a little rumble to it.

My question: after looking at the Middle America YouTube video on replacing the exhaust system, I am having second thoughts about doing it myself. The installer says that in order to get the muffler and pipes in and out without cutting you have to have the Vette at least 4 feet in the air to lift the assemble up and over the trans axle. Be that the case my jack stands are a little short! I would have to have the system installed. I don't want to jack it up and find that this is true. Anyone installed their own exhaust system without using a lift. I know a lift is the best way to do it but I have limited funds and would rather do it myself on jack stands.

Thoughts:

Thanks folks,
Dave
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Use a lift! By the time you get the rear anywhere near high enough you find the nose is on the ground. Then you jack up the front and start on the back again. Near the end of the process you have blocks under the jack stands, blocks under the jack, and the whole set up looks like a house of cards.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:04 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If the new exhaust is 2 parts then you can easily install it on jack stands about 18"-20" off the ground. The base C5 exhaust is only worth scrap value so it's no big loss to cut it to get it off. If you had C5Z exhaust then it's worth reselling.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Here's what I did with my z: pull onto a couple wide planks of wood up front to get it a couple inches off the ground. Obviously chock the front wheels. Jack up the back and put it on jack stands. Unbolt everything so essentially the exhaust is just hanging. You probably can't get either side out, but have everything prepped including undoing the sway bar brackets. Now using a couple thick planks of wood jack it up even more and the mufflers will practically fall out without you having to be under the car. Lower it back down onto the jack stands and install the new exhaust.

I should also note that I used a Humvee jack not a hydraulic jack, but even with a hydraulic jack I was never under the car without it being supported, so it will still safely work.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 PM
dan1546
Racer

If it a base c5 steel exhaust that is damaged anyway (sounds like the reason for the exhaust swap) just cut it off. Most aftermarket exhausts are 2 piece so you can install it without having to jack the car way up in the air.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You have to have 34 inches. I've done it twice in my garage. Just get the car on stands and get it all unbolted and ready to come out. Then I used some wood blocks on the jack and very carefully jacked it up and just slid it out. New exhaust is much easier.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:55 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've done it at home also. Got everything ready to remove, jack it up as high as I could get it as securely as possible, and pulled the exhaust out quickly. But I was removing a Z06 titanium exhaust so it was almost worth the risk. But if you're removing a stock junk exhaust, cut it off, it's worth nothing, as much as a stock Harley exhaust. I have two sets of jackstands, one is longer than the other. I used the taller ones as the main height support with the second one set as a safety catch positioned just in case, and make sure I disturbed nothing.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:21 PM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help. dbgoodwin thanks for reminding me about the sway bar brackets, in the video they removed the sway bar completely. My C5 has the original exhaust so cutting it is no big deal. The mufflers are rusting through on the edges and the bolting flange on the H bar, the weld has broken for the second time. Rather than weld it again, I want my vette to have some larger grapes....hence a new system. I have noticed several under $1000 (mufflers and H pipe) on ebay and amazon. My vette has come in fourth place after 3 weddings in six years. I have to do this as inexpensive (notice I did not say cheap...did not seem right when talking about my vette) as possible. Anyone have experience with these "inexpensive" systems. I just hope they are not Chinese and are made from my old Corvairs. Thanks All!

Get notified of new replies

To Jack Stands or Lift?

Quick Reply: Jack Stands or Lift?