C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coilovers and flared fenders ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM
yellowvette76
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Default coilovers and flared fenders ??

Hi everybody a little question maybe someone can help me...I have a set of bilstein coilovers and have a little problem...when high speed or too much bump in the road the rear tyre touch the inner fender and it do some brake effect with a Noisy sound....I'am ready to fit 19x12 wheels with wide rear fenders I hope that when I jump the tyres don't destroy my flush fenders ???

someone have already this problem or questions ?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets start with some basics. Lowering your car too much with coil overs and oversized tires could result having the tires rub against the inner finders or worse, the outer fender when going over dips/bumps in the road.

Selecting the right size tire that will fit the inner fender is your first priority, next is to select the correct wheel with the correct "off set" so the tire will be centered inside the fender equally on both sides. Shims are fine to use for street and show application, but I would not recommend them if you are a serious racer.

Finally, you need to make certain you have sufficient "preload" set for the coil overs. In other words, you don't want the car to have too much vertical movement when the car encounters a speed dip/bump.
Also, I would highly recommend you have someone with a set of scales, balance the car before you have the car set off to have a good alignment. The objective is to have 50/50 weight bias.

Ray
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM
yellowvette76
Instructor

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Lets start with some basics. Lowering your car too much with coil overs and oversized tires could result having the tires rub against the inner finders or worse, the outer fender when going over dips/bumps in the road.

Selecting the right size tire that will fit the inner fender is your first priority, next is to select the correct wheel with the correct "off set" so the tire will be centered inside the fender equally on both sides. Shims are fine to use for street and show application, but I would not recommend them if you are a serious racer.

Finally, you need to make certain you have sufficient "preload" set for the coil overs. In other words, you don't want the car to have too much vertical movement when the car encounters a speed dip/bump.
Also, I would highly recommend you have someone with a set of scales, balance the car before you have the car set off to have a good alignment. The objective is to have 50/50 weight bias.

Ray
it's exactly these coilovers bought from lane change

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-shocks.html

maybe I'am too low and it's one way coilovers if you lowered you will go soft and raise will go hard...but actually with stock wheels and tyres when take german highway 120/140mph I will have a big scary things when the rear tyres touch inner fender and do some brake effect
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The stock shocks also incorporate bumps stops to limit the suspension compression so ensuring the coilovers limit compression before the wheels hit parts would be a good idea.

Even if you install bump stops, too low means not enough travel for the suspension to work and it also messes with the suspension geometry. It seems to be generally accepted that lowering <1" from the stock ride height is best for handling.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:05 AM
yellowvette76
Instructor

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The stock shocks also incorporate bumps stops to limit the suspension compression so ensuring the coilovers limit compression before the wheels hit parts would be a good idea.

Even if you install bump stops, too low means not enough travel for the suspension to work and it also messes with the suspension geometry. It seems to be generally accepted that lowering <1" from the stock ride height is best for handling.
bump stop ? I don't really see what parts is it....and yes but I hate the offroad effect of a stock C5 mine is slammed on the ground and be at the good height for my opinion

Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I run 345's on 19" with coils. I will only rub inner on a real good dip in the road. When I ran a heavier alignment it was worse then back to factory specs rarely do I rub. I'm 27.5" from ground to fender lip passenger side and 27.75" drivers. My coils are set to 9.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by yellowvette76
bump stop ? I don't really see what parts is it....
On the stock shocks it a yellow high density foam type material up inside the shock boot. The shock boot has a metal washer in the top of it that the bumper is against. The top of the shock then comes up and hits into it when you're at the limit of travel.

The coilovers should also have some kind of bumper on the shaft to limit travel.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:42 PM
yellowvette76
Instructor

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

On the stock shocks it a yellow high density foam type material up inside the shock boot. The shock boot has a metal washer in the top of it that the bumper is against. The top of the shock then comes up and hits into it when you're at the limit of travel.

The coilovers should also have some kind of bumper on the shaft to limit travel.
can you send me a link or something that I can see this parts ??
Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

See the tan colored piece above the shock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KW-V3-Shock-...-/331105330271
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 AM
yellowvette76
Instructor

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

See the tan colored piece above the shock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KW-V3-Shock-...-/331105330271
yes I see I send a mail to MTI racing to know if they have something for me

Get notified of new replies

To coilovers and flared fenders ??

Quick Reply: coilovers and flared fenders ??