C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z - Failed Emissions - Question for the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

Default C5 Z - Failed Emissions - Question for the Forum

I have an '03 Z, heavily modified, 550hp at the crank. Fast, cam, AFR heads, headers, etc. etc. I failed the emissions test with high in HC and CO which indicates a unburned fuel - high air/fuel ratio. I know it needs a tune for various reasons - obviously this situation and an idle problem including surging. I am hoping the tune is enough to pass emissions testing.

My question to the forum is: What emission equipment is stock to a 2003 LS6 ? With the mods, it appears any standard emissions equipment has been removed. Did the '03 LS6 have an air pump? The emission test folks failed me for that too. If it was never equipped with one, I can have that issue resolved.

Thanks !
Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yes, it did. It might still be there under the drivers side headlight.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Is Colorado only OBDII only ?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:36 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
Is Colorado only OBDII only ?
Not really sure what this means other than the "link up." I did not notice any connection to the computer during testing. They placed the car on a dyno, connected the tailpipes to a capture hose, and drove the car under various acceleration loads.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing that with those mods even a tune will not pass sniffer test. If it were just computer scan you could after a tune. Mine has been tuned and I just went thru emissions with no sniffer. Guy said what are you burning in this thing - I can smell the fuel! I still passed since there were no codes and readiness tests were set.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:12 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Air injection was there stock. I think there is a sticker that details stuff like that under the hood.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The factory air pump system is only there for cold start emissions. It stops running after a couple minutes. You could plumb it in to the exhaust downstream of the primary o2's and run it with a remote switch. Also have the tune set the idle to 1175rpm.
You didn't mention cats. Does your car have them?
Post the results of the emission test so we can see how far off you are.
Ask your tuner if he has a five gas analyzer.
If you can't make it with with the air pump and cats, you'll need to change the cam. Either that or look into getting a collector car registration. In most states antique and collector cars are emissions exempt.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Originally Posted by martysauto
The factory air pump system is only there for cold start emissions. It stops running after a couple minutes. You could plumb it in to the exhaust downstream of the primary o2's and run it with a remote switch. Also have the tune set the idle to 1175rpm.
You didn't mention cats. Does your car have them?
Post the results of the emission test so we can see how far off you are.
Ask your tuner if he has a five gas analyzer.
If you can't make it with with the air pump and cats, you'll need to change the cam. Either that or look into getting a collector car registration. In most states antique and collector cars are emissions exempt.
I have LG hi-flow cats. HC was 5 points high vs 1.2 being acceptable. CO was two points high with 15.0 being acceptable. I'm going to attempt to have the air pump hooked up this weekend. Tune scheduled for next Sat - earliest I could get dyno time.

I am definitely looking into the antique/collector car tag.

Thanks !
Old 10-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Turbo900rr
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have e85? Either add 2-3 gallons or do a full on tune. If you retune it will get you passed for sure. If you just add a few gallons it may lean it enough to pass you as well. Good luck
Old 10-31-2014, 01:35 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Loveland, I failed on my Bonneville and my vette (lightly modded).. Clint at A.I.R. was able to get mine passed. He is in Arvada, If your NOX is low enough some E85 will help but probably not that much. Clint should be able to help get the tune sorted out, they have a dyno. He made me a Clean Emissions tune and a power tune so i can flop back and forth if i want. He is about 5 miles from a E-testing location, i had him tune the car and i drove over to the e-testing location and passed same day. He did suggest i ad 3 gal of E85 in with my tank of fuel, which i did.

American Intense Racing (A.I.R) -Clint
5655 Gray St, Arvada, CO 80002
(303) 422-7223

Hope this helps,
S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 10-31-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:29 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
I live in Loveland, I failed on my Bonneville and my vette (lightly modded).. Clint at A.I.R. was able to get mine passed. He is in Arvada, If your NOX is low enough some E85 will help but probably not that much. Clint should be able to help get the tune sorted out, they have a dyno. He made me a Clean Emissions tune and a power tune so i can flop back and forth if i want. He is about 5 miles from a E-testing location, i had him tune the car and i drove over to the e-testing location and passed same day. He did suggest i ad 3 gal of E85 in with my tank of fuel, which i did.

American Intense Racing (A.I.R) -Clint
5655 Gray St, Arvada, CO 80002
(303) 422-7223

Hope this helps,
S
SWEET ! Thanks.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:41 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

So what was the outcome?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BLEKVET
Not really sure what this means other than the "link up." I did not notice any connection to the computer during testing. They placed the car on a dyno, connected the tailpipes to a capture hose, and drove the car under various acceleration loads.
Wow Colorado definitely beats to their own drum not only is it legal to smoke pot there but they are the only state I know of that has ASM (simulated dyno) testing on any car manufactured after 1995. I did ET testing in GA for almost 12 years at the shop I managed there. Our ET program was based right off CA. Once OBDII became mandatory on all 1996 makes/models sold in this country, all other states that I recall just ran the OBDII test at the DLC. Only 1995 and older vehicles were tested as a ASM test.

Hope you get it dialed in! In GA we had several cars pass with big cams, no cats etc. that had been tuned because it was only a scanner test for codes.

Sorry but funny side note here. I got certified in GA in late 97. An inspector has to return every two years for re certification. Around late 04 early 05 I am going back for my 5th recert, At the time I have a 02 SS with LT's, A Futral F10 cam etc and no cats. Allen Futral actually came to Atlanta for a dyno tuning session and he did my car as well as a several others. Before tuning became widely available lots of people, myself included were running 02 sim's to keep the MIL off(no cats) but by the time of my recertification in late 04/05 that was passé because of LS1 edit etc.

But here is the funny part and this is the EPA at work Originally unlike on 95 and older cars, we no longer were required to do a visual inspection on catalytic converters, because the EPA said that if the convertors were bad or missing it would 100% set off the CEL on a OBD II car. but on that recertification in late 04 early 05 these guys that held the recertification classes had recently discovered that these devices called 02 simulators could "fool" the computers That was the best day ever in that class lol, the EPA only 5-6 years behind the time!!
Old 11-08-2014, 01:26 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Originally Posted by vsocks1
So what was the outcome?
Well, I just spent 3 hours installing a series of pipes and hoses that are 100-percent useless. But, they are required emissions system components. The air pump, as I understand it, pumps air into this system. BUT, ONLY at cold start. WTF!

Oh well, $750 later and I still have to change the cats and get a tune.

Back to the test again next week. CO sure is beautiful, but this is F'n ridiculous. Arkansas, I miss you. Coming back to ya soon.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:05 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Hope it works after all that! I would be worried about anything more than a computer scan to be honest. Glad that is all I have to deal with!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:45 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have LG hi-flow cats. HC was 5 points high vs 1.2 being acceptable. CO was two points high with 15.0 being acceptable. I'm going to attempt to have the air pump hooked up this weekend. Tune scheduled for next Sat - earliest I could get dyno time.

I am definitely looking into the antique/collector car tag.

Thanks !
Those readings don't sound right. HC is measured in parts per million. A common standard is 220ppm. CO is measured as a percentage, with 1.2 being a common standard or threshold. Can you post the report?
Take a look at post 7. That could help you pass. Car were built for years with air being pumped into the cats to help complete the burn off. Air pumps were even used before cats became mandatory..
Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Get it to pass yet?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

In Maryland, you can get an emissions waiver after spending a certain amount of money attempting to repair the problem. I think its $500. The waiver is good until the next required emissions test (2 years).

Oh well, $750 later and I still have to change the cats and get a tune.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Any update?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z - Failed Emissions - Question for the Forum

Quick Reply: C5 Z - Failed Emissions - Question for the Forum