C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse lockout - Reverse shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 AM
tycksena
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lockout - Reverse shifting problem

I have been having an issue with shifting into reverse as of early this week with my '99 6 speed. It seems I can't get past the lockout gate to get it all the way to the right and up to reverse. When I go all the way right and then up it's just putting it into 5th. I have tried all the tricks of putting it in a gear then going to reverse etc... but none seem to work. I usually spend 3-5 min trying to get it in reverse and eventually do somehow magically.

I did a search and people seem to have an issue shifting into reverse when cold but that seems to be more of not being able to get into gear not the inability to even get to the reverse gear with the shifter. I've read some things about a reverse lockout solenoid... maybe this is my issue? If someone knows more please elaborate.

Maybe worth noting: I just replaced my clutch with an LS6 clutch along with the entire clutch hydraulic system (slave, master, new speed bleeder, etc...) about 3k miles ago. (I currently have 115k on the odometer). I also did a transmission fluid change to Royal Purple and a differential fluid change to Royal Purple as well.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I would first check the shifter alignment and mounting to make sure it is not an issue. It may have loosened since the work done.

I have info on the solenoid at home I can share later if needed. I don't see how it could cause your issue though.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:07 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If it won't go over past the 5-6 gate to the reverse gate then it's likely the solenoid. You can force it if you apply enough pressure. The early C5 has a solenoid that requires power to allow reverse. If the solenoid fails or doesn't get power then reverse is always locked out.

The later C5 has a solenoid that requires power to lock-out reverse. The change was around 2000 or 2001.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks again lionelhutz. Did not know exactly how the solenoid affected the actual shifter motion/movement.

In his case it might be a fuse. Not at home with the FSM to see which one.

For the OP, I know my 2001 FSM says you have to unbolt and lower the suspension some to remove the solenoid but I know several people have been able to replace it by just putting the car up with the wheels/tires off the ground and they had enough access.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM
tycksena
Instructor

Thank you all for the replies. I will see if I can figure out what fuse locks out reverse and check it. If that's all good I'll see if anything has loosened up around the shifter (which means messing with that stupid demon key of course) and if not I'll look to you guys for some more info on that solenoid. Hopefully its just a fuse but I'm doubting it. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Check that it's plugged in. It may have been missed during the clutch replacement.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:56 PM
tycksena
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Check that it's plugged in. It may have been missed during the clutch replacement.
I'm pretty sure it's plugged in because it has been working fine for about 3 months and all the sudden this has become an issue in the past week. However, I will check it. Where is it located? Any pictures?

I would also assume it would throw a code if something wasn't plugged in or if it failed.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:37 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I looked at my 2001 FSM and it shows engine fuse box fuse 19. This also provides ignition related functions and the skip shift circuit so I doubt it is your problem.

I show a Pink wire providing voltage and a Light Green wire returning to the PCM for activation.

P0801 is the only code for the circuit.

Here is where it is located.

Manual Tranny Electrical Connections
Old 11-01-2014, 08:50 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Check the connector. If it wasn't fully seated/latched, it might have come loose.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I looked at my 2001 FSM and it shows engine fuse box fuse 19. This also provides ignition related functions and the skip shift circuit so I doubt it is your problem.

I show a Pink wire providing voltage and a Light Green wire returning to the PCM for activation.

P0801 is the only code for the circuit.

Here is where it is located.

Manual Tranny Electrical Connections
I don't know if that diagram is correct, my GM manual for a 04 manual shows the reverse and skip shift solenoid reversed? I am getting ready to pull mine and have done a lot of research don't know it what is shown is correct, comments please.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I thought it was supposed to be on the top also when I posted the picture.

Pulled the 2004 FSM I have and it shows #1 and #2 above as reversed . Based on that I assume my 2001 FSM is wrong. I have found a few other wrong things in it but nothing really major.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM
don37
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a dec 02 z06. Looks like 1 and 2 are flip flopped.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I swapped mine out ('03 Coupe) two days ago. It was on top of the trans.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the solenoid is energized once the vehicle reached a certain speed preventing you from shifting into reverse. Unless it is stuck, it should not prevent you from shifting while the car is stationary.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just replaced the reverse lockout solenoid on my 03 Z yesterday. The components in the diagram posted are reversed.

For anyone sitting on the fence, this is a do-able repair. I had the back of the car up on ramps and had plenty of room.

The solenoid's kind of difficult to get to, but not impossible. It's not necessary to drop the rear end like the service manual says.

I made sure the transmission was in neutral, although I'm not sure it's necessary. I used a 13mm deep well 3/8" drive socket, a 3" wobble extension, and a 3/8" ratchet to remove the bolt that holds the receiver the solenoid screws into.

I used a vise and crescent wrench to separate the solenoid from the receiver. The solenoid has apparently been upgraded - it took a 27mm wrench to put the new one on.

The solenoid is sealed with an o-ring and so is the receiver. I lubed both before installing.

I've owned and driven the car for 1 1/2 years. The reverse lockout has been spotty the whole time, but not anymore.
The following users liked this post:
idahoskiguy (02-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse lockout - Reverse shifting problem

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout - Reverse shifting problem