C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control not working after new clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Traction control not working after new clutch install

Not sure what the shop could have done to mess with my traction control while installing a new McLeod twin disk clutch and hydraulics, but I have zero traction control now and I'm not sure where to start with diagnosis on this one. Other than sensors, which I would assume would throw a code if they damaged one or failed to plug one or both back in, what could be up here? I've read that switching left/right wiring can cause odd things with stability control, but as far as traction control goes, where should I start to diagnose and fix this? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Meta
Racer

Btw, ABS seems to work fine, it activated yesterday during a hard stop on leaves and indicated on the dash. Not sure how that plays into the equation as far as sensors would go relating to stability control/active handling.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:11 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Are you saying you pulled the codes and there were none?
Old 11-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by martysauto
Are you saying you pulled the codes and there were none?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I pulled the codes and there were none. I would think that a failed traction control would throw a code, no? I'm stumped here.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 PM
ND2RACE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to pull your console up and see if they disconnected you lateral sensor when they removed your shifter, could've forgot to plug it back in. It sure seems to me it would be something stupid like that.

Traction and ABS codes are stored in the EBCM, so you need a scan tool capable. Pretty sure you can do it through the DIC but I've never tried.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

You should have codes and warning messages if the traction control is not functioning. You should provide the year and model c5 you own. The abs/tcs systems are different on the early cars.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by martysauto
You should have codes and warning messages if the traction control is not functioning. You should provide the year and model c5 you own. The abs/tcs systems are different on the early cars.
It's a 2002 C5 Coupe. Is it possible for them to program out traction control if they had issues with codes and couldn't figure out how to fix it? Just thinking of remote possibilities. I know they ran into trouble on the install, but they wouldn't go into details. Very high end shop, so I doubt they did shoddy work intentionally just to get it done.
That brings up another quick question. This is my first aftermarket clutch in any C5 and I went with a Mcleod RXT twin disk and lightweight Mcleod flywheel. I like the clutch, a bit grabby but getting better with miles of break in, but the question I have is where the clutch should begin to engage. Right now it engages just as it's coming off the floor. I haven't had the rear up on jack stands to test for creep when disengaged, but it seems to be fully disengaged on the floor. The lack of travel before engagement seems odd. Any twin disk Mcleod owners here with experience?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

Sorry for the Basic question.
If you have no codes Do you have any lights on the dash indicating a failure?
If not how are you determining you have no traction control ?

Just trying to help narrow down what you are seeing and feeling in regards to the traction control issue.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_A
Sorry for the Basic question.
If you have no codes Do you have any lights on the dash indicating a failure?
If not how are you determining you have no traction control ?

Just trying to help narrow down what you are seeing and feeling in regards to the traction control issue.
Since it's not throwing any codes, the only way I found out that the T/C wasn't working was having the tires break loose under throttle and then confirming this a few times. Normally the T/C would kick in and inhibit spin, but not anymore. ABS seems to work fine, I tested it on a wet road and it seemed to work ok and indicated it was activated. Totally stumped on this one.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you talked to the shop that did the work? Seems to me if it worked before you took it there and it doesn't when you get it back, it should be their responsibilty to find and fix the problem. If they don't I sure wouldn't ever go back. They may be interested to know about it for future reference too. I would at least talk to them. Maybe they have had this problem before and know exactly what it is, ya never know.... Good luck
Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Are you using the dic to pull the codes? A standard scanner will not pick up traction control codes.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by BigGun
Are you using the dic to pull the codes? A standard scanner will not pick up traction control codes.
So, that might explain why just pulling codes using the DIC isn't showing anything. I would think something as important as TC would show up in the DIC and throw a codes. So, if what you're saying is correct, I'll head to my mechanic (not the shop that did the clutch work) and have him run the scanner.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Meta
So, that might explain why just pulling codes using the DIC isn't showing anything. I would think something as important as TC would show up in the DIC and throw a codes. So, if what you're saying is correct, I'll head to my mechanic (not the shop that did the clutch work) and have him run the scanner.
You misunderstood my post. The dic is the BEST way to pull the codes, not a scanner. Are you using this procedure? http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 11-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by BigGun
You misunderstood my post. The dic is the BEST way to pull the codes, not a scanner. Are you using this procedure? http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Sorry, misunderstood you. I've always used the DIC to check codes. Other than a 58 SDM B0090 H, which is airbag, there are no codes, not even any others in history (H). I think the one code that is displaying is because I leave the passenger airbag off because my 6 year old son rides with me in a car seat occasionally.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

There will not be any codes if the TCS is disabled in the tune file.

Did the shop "tune" the car?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by CTD
There will not be any codes if the TCS is disabled in the tune file.

Did the shop "tune" the car?
They were not supposed to tune the car and there was no reason to touch the tune. The car has a mail order tune from ECS that I'm happy with. Traction control worked fine after the mail order tune and only now, after the clutch R&R, is the traction control not working. I brought up the issue of them editing the tune to delete the traction control as one possible explanation as to how the lack of T/C would not throw codes. Maybe they buggered up a sensor or something upon reinstallation of the driveline and couldn't get it to clear and not throw codes without deleting the T/C? That would be VERY negligent if the lack of T/C caused an accident.....
Now, how do I tell if they edited out the T/C or messed with the tune in general? I do a lot of my own work but a clutch was a bit too much for me, and I don't have a scan tool. My mechanic who does my alignments and tires, etc, does have a scan tool that we've used for ABS bleeds and stuff would help but I don't know if he's up to speed on checking any deeper into what's been done with the tune. Question is, would any edits to the tune have a time stamp to attribute to the shop that did the clutch R&R?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:26 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

They were not supposed to tune the car and there was no reason to touch the tune. The car has a mail order tune from ECS that I'm happy with. Traction control worked fine after the mail order tune and only now, after the clutch R&R, is the traction control not working. I brought up the issue of them editing the tune to delete the traction control as one possible explanation as to how the lack of T/C would not throw codes. Maybe they buggered up a sensor or something upon reinstallation of the driveline and couldn't get it to clear and not throw codes without deleting the T/C? That would be VERY negligent if the lack of T/C caused an accident.....
Now, how do I tell if they edited out the T/C or messed with the tune in general? I do a lot of my own work but a clutch was a bit too much for me, and I don't have a scan tool. My mechanic who does my alignments and tires, etc, does have a scan tool that we've used for ABS bleeds and stuff would help but I don't know if he's up to speed on checking any deeper into what's been done with the tune. Question is, would any edits to the tune have a time stamp to attribute to the shop that did the clutch R&R?

For the record, we do not disable the TCS in any way for our mail order tunes.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction control not working after new clutch install

Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Meta
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
For the record, we do not disable the TCS in any way for our mail order tunes.
Hope it didn't come across that I thought it may have been ECS that edited out the T/C. It worked perfectly after your tune, which was great, by the way, and only after the clutch install by a local performance shop did the T/C not work. Wish you guys at ECS were closer to me and I would have loved to have you guys do the clutch!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Hope it didn't come across that I thought it may have been ECS that edited out the T/C. It worked perfectly after your tune, which was great, by the way, and only after the clutch install by a local performance shop did the T/C not work. Wish you guys at ECS were closer to me and I would have loved to have you guys do the clutch!

Thanks! I just wanted to make it clear because you would be amazed how some people can decipher the Interwebz sometimes.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what the shop could have done to mess with my traction control while installing a new McLeod twin disk clutch and hydraulics, but I have zero traction control now and I'm not sure where to start with diagnosis on this one. Other than sensors, which I would assume would throw a code if they damaged one or failed to plug one or both back in, what could be up here? I've read that switching left/right wiring can cause odd things with stability control, but as far as traction control goes, where should I start to diagnose and fix this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Don't want to insult but... is there any chance by "AH/TC not working" you mean the button on the center console is not cycling through the Active Handling options? Any chance this switch is not hooked up to it's harness??? (Just seems like it must be something too easy to overlook or you would have error codes).

Good Luck!!!

Tim

Quick Reply: Traction control not working after new clutch install