C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Column Lock Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:03 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Question about Column Lock Recall

I have a Column Lock Bypass on my 03 Z06. It had never had a column lock problem and hasn't since I installed the bypass.

My car has not had the recall done on it and my local dealership is wanting to install it.

I was wondering if there will be any problem, if I have them install the recall, since I already have a bypass on it. Will their work undo my bypass?

They'll probably keep bugging me, if I don't have it done.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:05 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Don't. They'll program in a 2mph fuel cutoff, among other things.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:05 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do NOT let them touch your car under ANY circumstance, they will F it up.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 PM
A Marsh
Pro

I just came across the column lock sticky. They won't agree, but I'm going to refuse it.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Put in the LMC5 yourself for $45 and be done with any future problems.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by A Marsh
I just came across the column lock sticky. They won't agree, but I'm going to refuse it.

Thanks.
I agree to not let them do anything.

Your car. They get money for the recall so that is probably their only motivation.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Put in the LMC5 yourself for $45 and be done with any future problems.
Peace of mind no doubt.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

To the OP, please listen to 8VETTE7. He is the GURU of CL issues. No one know more than him.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Appreciate the input
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Randy Richards
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unfamiliar with steering lock

Hello, I am not up on this situation with the steering problem. I have a 03' z06 with 4,000 miles on it, when I purchased it last winter it only had 2,741 miles. From some of the post a lot of writers think you are the guy....Thank you. We need more guys like you . But all aside if you would give me some info on this subject it would be great...how can I check and see if the fix is already done. And if there is more to know....current 40th z25 from new and a 05' SSR from new. Thank you very much".... Randy46953@hotmail.com......
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
IF and that is a very big IF, the dealer follows the 04006C column lock recall instructions exactly as GM wrote them, they will not reprogram the PCM with the 2mph fuel shutoff. Here is the GM writeup of 04006C:

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenficht...olumn_lock.pdf

It was only the earlier variations of the 04006 recall instructions that reprogrammed the 2mph fuel shutoff.

There are many reasons NOT to let the dealer touch the car none the less.

OP, as the others have suggested DO NOT let the dealer touch the car.

The basic steps that are called for with the 04006C variation of the Column Lock Recall Service for your manual trans C5 are:

1) Remove the steering wheel and then the necessary components on the column to install the small diameter lock ring that would physically prevent the lock pin from ever locking the column. Then reassemble. (Far too much chance for a less than skilled Tech to screw up something including the steering wheel when they disassemble/reassemble. I have seen it happen.)

2) In your case remove the CLB that you installed and then install a GM K Harness between the lock motor male connector and the female connector that goes back to the BCM.

3) Function test to insure that the components they installed work.

With your lock motor not having worked since you installed the CLB, it "might" be hung up by thickened grease and time. If that happened the lock system might not perform correctly any longer and the dealer would want to charge you for a new lock motor (and perhaps the installation of it since they have to disassemble the column again to do that).

You do NOT need to take the chance of the stealership screwing anything up so don't let them touch the car.

As far as installing an LMC5, there is a small advantage to that over the CLB that you already have installed. Specifically, if you were to have the wiper well udders plug up and then have water backup into the passenger side (it DOES happen) and the Column Lock Relay were to get wet and fry, you would receive the column lock error messages but NOT have the column lock or experience the 2 mph fuel shutoff (it has not been programmed if the GM Column Lock service has not been previously done). Car would be completely driveable except for the error messages displayed in the DIC. To clear the messages (other than using the reset button only to have them reappear on the next start) you would need to replace the Column Lock Relay. About $25 at most parts stores.

The LMC5 abandons all the factory wiring (and recall components if the GM service had been done) downstream of the BCM and installs right at the BCM in the passenger foot well. So having the Column Lock relay get wet and fail is not going to cause the error messages.

On a related issue, if you have NOT yet checked and cleaned out the wiper well and AC drain rubber udders, take the time to look over the first few posts in the following link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Column Lock Recall

Quick Reply: Question about Column Lock Recall