C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end "whir" on C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Road Rage Garage
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end "whir" on C5

Just got back from a 1500 mile road trip. Car ran great, only 63K miles on it. About 400 miles from home the instrument panel went haywire and the DIC relayed "reduced engine power" and "service tire air monitoring system" among other things. The engine did not exhibit any reduced power. All the gauges went to red except the Volts. The stereo stopped working and the windows wouldn't work. I pulled over, shut the car off and restarted it no problem. All good again. A ton of codes in the DIC but all 'H' codes. The concern didn't come until today when I noticed a weird dragging sound after 40mph, independent of the revs. Nothing's dragging or rubbing the tires. No smells or squeals. No performance impact I can tell. Power's good, suspension's good, tranny an brakes good too. Is there something notorious with the rear end or gears? This drone is annoying as hell but I don't want to destroy something probably expensive. Any ideas? Was the computer issue related maybe?

Thanks for any input and knowledge!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you turn the car off and then pull the codes most will show as H. Record what you found and let us know what they were and then clear them and see what comes back.

Sounds like it could have been a temporary low voltage issue or a serial bus corruption.

Will have to ponder your dragging issue. Check your fluid levels in the Diff and Tranny as a first step.

Auto or 6 speed?

Could be two different issues entirely.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Road Rage Garage
7th Gear

Dadaroo, I cleared the codes already but remember most of them were cpu and both door command module communication. I think the computer got warm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and driving 13 hours. It happened once before and was traced to low voltage from the battery. I replaced the battery recently so I dunno.

I got as under the car as I could to see if I hit something or am dragging a carcass. No smell of rubber or plastic. Fender wells check out even though that's exactly what it sounds like. No drag. I'll try to reach the diff but without a lift it'll be a chore. I'm afraid to shred something valuable or cause further damage but I have no choice it's my only car!

To answer your question its a six speed.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You can take it to any muffler shop, etc and I bet they will put it up for free or a small fee to look around.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Road Rage Garage
7th Gear

Good idea man, thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Check your ebrake cables to make sure they are not hitting a wheel.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Road Rage Garage
7th Gear

It is light on the pull. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:04 PM
jac1979
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the noise get worse when you turn? If yes, it could be a bad wheel bearing. I just had one go bad, the push/pull test didn't reveal any play but when I took the bearing off it's very rough when you spin it. It sounded like a roaring noise coming from the rear in my case.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Parking brake linings may have broke free from the shoes. It could be your noise, maybe not, but if the p brake feels "light" when you pull it they should be checked.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Road Rage Garage
7th Gear

Jac, it stays constant in a straight line or turning. I usually hear bearings chirp or squeak, but I'll check it tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the car on a lift.

Martysauto, thanks man I'll have it tightened regardless.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Road Rage Garage
7th Gear

It's the rear pinion stabilizer bearing. Quoted at $1700 by the dealer. Does anyone know if it can be done cheaper? Any recommendations in Charlotte, NC area?

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end "whir" on C5

Quick Reply: Rear end "whir" on C5