C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pan question

I have a leak on the back end of my oil pan. Do the bolts loosen up on their own or do you think that o ring may have given out? I found a photo of one on CL and that's where I saw its an o ring not a gaskit. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
oil pans on these cars are often damp and it's rarely the pan gasket

oil blows back at hwy speeds and collects their could be front timing cover seal behind wobbley harmonic balancer, oil pressure switch behind intake manifold, running down or even more fun the cam position sensor

the car needs to go on a lift and have oil leak detection dye added to the crankcase the mechanic will use an ultraviolet lamp to detect the leaks location

ask me how I know

is it dripping from the drain plug itself ? it may look like it is, but thats raely the case as well

ask me how I know

No the drain plug and the wing part of the pan are dry. The drips are coming off the rear edge of the pan. I just had to use the car to get my son and the stink of burning oil takes away the fun of driving the thing. This is why I posted looking to se if any of the DFW guys know a oil change place or shop that will let me use their lift for about 10 min to see just where it's coming from.

Last edited by Spare Time Toy; 11-18-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

I was killing a little time this morning and on the LS1 forum there was a oil leak thread. It looks like the PCV lines cracking is a common problem and it cdauses the same indications I have. They talk about the cost of new parts from GM is $100+ but give a list of parts from Home Depot that fix it for good for $15 Ill give this a shot and see.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:10 PM
lusor
Racer

Originally Posted by Spare Time Toy
I was killing a little time this morning and on the LS1 forum there was a oil leak thread. It looks like the PCV lines cracking is a common problem and it cdauses the same indications I have. They talk about the cost of new parts from GM is $100+ but give a list of parts from Home Depot that fix it for good for $15 Ill give this a shot and see.
Did this fix your oil leak ?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan question

Quick Reply: Oil pan question