C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors upgrade for C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Mickster144
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rotors upgrade for C5

I am thinking about replacing my rotors and painting my calipers this winter..good winter project. I have seen complete kits, rotors and rebuilt calipers that are powder coated. I am interested in slotted/drilled rotors for looks. Pictures of what you did would be nice. And it would be a good time to replace the brake pads. Price is not an issue, but I don't want to over pay just for a brand name either. So, what do you say..paint the calipers or get them already painted?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 PM
OWENMUSTANG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can comment on the calipers.. painting them sucks! and looks like @#$% too..
I vote powder coated out of the box...
Old 11-18-2014, 05:44 PM
xzo124
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine 2 years back with Dupli=color Caliper Paint and they still look great . the key is getting the caliper as cleen as possible . use a file to highlight corvette on the front....xzo
Old 11-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
I can comment on the calipers.. painting them sucks! and looks like @#$% too..
I vote powder coated out of the box...
Powder coated calipers do look good, but painted calipers can too if you take the time to do them right.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by xzo124
Did mine 2 years back with Dupli=color Caliper Paint and they still look great . the key is getting the caliper as cleen as possible . use a file to highlight corvette on the front....xzo
I put a little Vaseline on the surface of the letters and just scraped the paint off with a razor knife after it was dry. It came right off and looked perfect.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by xzo124
I used dupli color on three cars with excellent results. It's all in the prep. If you rather spend time than money, do it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Funny, I would prefer a brand name when buying brake products. Although I know the production technology is well understood throughout the industry.

Most brand names are such because they market a good product . Others may have a comparable product, but it was not achieved easily. And given that the tech is well understood, where are the cost savings from? I hope not materials, build quality or labor, my personal last choices for areas of economy in brake manufacturing .

I guess I am concerned about going cheap with a very important system. I would be bummed if I couldn't easy reach my eBay seller with a few complaints about Chinese product quality using only a bedside hospital phone.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:13 PM
OUTAKTRL
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I used G2 caliper paint. Take your time and mask off areas and it's worth the effort. My calipers came out perfect !!! G2 is quality stuff. Give it 2 or 3 coats. It's like an expoxy paint mix. Un-used paint turned into a rock in the can about 10 hours after mixing.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Mickster144
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTAKTRL
I used G2 caliper paint. Take your time and mask off areas and it's worth the effort. My calipers came out perfect !!! G2 is quality stuff. Give it 2 or 3 coats. It's like an expoxy paint mix. Un-used paint turned into a rock in the can about 10 hours after mixing.
That's what I have purchased. How many kits did you use?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM
OUTAKTRL
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Just one kit will be enough. Make sure u clean your calipers with soap and water , then with the brake cleaner and let them dry. One kit was enough to give each caliper 3 thin coats. If you take your time and do it right you wont be disappointed. My calipers look perfect , they look powder coated. To get the raised CORVETTE lettering clean just use a razor blade and scrape off carefully.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:58 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Rotors

I have a set of drilled & slotted rotors that I'm taking off my car that will be for sale if you are interested. PM if you are. You PM is full as I tried to send you one earlier.
Tim
Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

I went Baer slotted and drilled , powere coated red.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

God,,, I LOVE the slotted and DRILLED look! Truth be told,, the drilled rotors look great BUT,,,,,,, can CRACK if used aggressively.

I had an 06 Z-51 Coupe. It came with OEM Drilled Rotors.

I can tell you for a FACT that the drilled holes will CLOG with brake dust in short order.

Sure,, its pretty easy to clean them but, they clog and do that in short order. Drilled rotors,, If used aggressively can and will crack between the drill holes.

SLOTTED ROTORS: Slotted rotors don't clog. They don't crack.

In my honest opinion,,, If you want a fail proof brake rotor, find a quality SLOTTED rotor.

BC
Old 11-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 491 Likes on 418 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

For a quality brake pad take a look at the Carbotech 1521.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F: $148 R: $128 Less 5%.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Been running Baer rotors on my '98 many years ago now. I put them on after having new rotors on the front a couple of times under warranty. Probably got 45k on them now, no issues at all - and they were used (but not many miles) when I bought them!

I run Hawk HPS pads with them. They look good and the car stops extremely well. What more can you ask?
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM
KingTut
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default BrakeMotive

I originally had the Baer Eradospeeds - pretty expensive - supposed to have a life time warrantee - they warped - too bad - no replacement rotors in the cards.

Shopped around and found the Brake Motive rotors $180 with brake pads included. Why not give them a try - 2 years later they look like new and are still perfectly true. I never used the pads as I use ceramic pads - but I believe you are wasting your money for anything else.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:00 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Mine are powder coated to match the car, as are the brackets (and the C6 Z06 sway bars). The rotors are Wilwood two piece, which pulls some weight out as well.

If you are not interested in a 2 piece rotor, I recently bought some of the NAPA rotors for another car. They are now fully coated with a silver material that looks pretty good. Once you brake on them a few times this wears off of the braking surface and the rest of the rotor remains silver. Its a pretty slick setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotors upgrade for C5

Quick Reply: Rotors upgrade for C5